Getting Ready To Buy An F-200

PhoenixAshes

Still Fresh
Hi all, I am new to the forum. I am thinking of buying an F-200 in the next few weeks. However, I do not have any knowledge of emulators and the process of getting games to work.

So, I have four questions really:

1. Would you guys/girls be able to help me in getting going?
2. Is it as difficult as I think?
3. How large in file size are the games, say Street Fighter on the SNES
4. Has anyone bought from Play Asia and shipped to the UK? How much was the Customs charge?

Thank you in advance for your help.

1. Would you guys/girls be able to help me in getting going? We can try.
2. Is it as difficult as I think? Depends on your definition of difficulty. The workflow to emulate a game is usually: copy the emulator that you got in the archive (http://archive.gp2x.de) and the collection of games that you got elsewhere to a folder in a SD card; switch on the Gp2x and select the emulator; choose your preferred game. Emulators work in PCs as well, so in order to get a taste install and use an emulator in your PC. It is as difficult as in Gp2x. They usually use the same game files (called "roms") as well :)
3. How large in file size are the games, say Street Fighter on the SNES I don't care about the downsized version of Street Fighter on the SNES, since the original and much better arcade game works on several other emulators. It's about 3MB. A typical SNES game like Super Mario World is 0.4MB (400KB), although SNES has games as large as the 9MB of Star Ocean, being 1MB the average. All emulated platforms follow these numbers, more or less.
4. Has anyone bought from Play Asia and shipped to the UK? Little help here, but I think that at UK you have a local store that sells Gp2x. Keep it local, you'll save the environment. If you prefer to save some bucks, keep in mind that if problems show up they will be much more expensive to solve if you bough in Play Asia.
5. Five? I didn't ask that question. I know, but maybe you missed that the Gp2x is plenty of great games apart from emulators. Most of them are freeware and some commercial jewels. These games are even easier to install than emulators: just copy the game in the SD. And there are no legal issues with them :)
6. Six? You sucks, man. Apart from games, the Gp2x is perfect to watch movies on the train/bus. Although advisable in order to save battery, you don't need to recode your videos for the Gp2x: just put them in the same format that you purchased/downloaded from the Internet.

Thank you for the help. I suppose it is easy to find the games? (probably not allowed to discuss that on here!)

Does anyone know a UK supplier doind a good deal?

So games are around 3MB so with a 2GB SD card you could possible have the entire collection of games for a platform in your pocket!?? I'm getting more excited about this!

Lurkio said:
PhoenixAshes said:
Does anyone know a UK supplier doind a good deal?
www.gbax.com, but they're out of stock at the moment, other places to try are the marketplace forum and of course Ebay.

I take it the majority of people buy from the official UK site? It seems to be the only place that comes up on a google search. These are reliable right?

Last edited by a moderator:
PhoenixAshes said:
I take it the majority of people buy from the official UK site? It seems to be the only place that comes up on a google search. These are reliable right?
I've always found the http://www.gp2x.co.uk/ site to be reliable, but the gp2x.co.uk and gbax.com sites are owned by the same person so i'd go with the gbax site to save cash, when they get stock in of course. :)

PhoenixAshes said:
So games are around 3MB so with a 2GB SD card you could possible have the entire collection of games for a platform in your pocket!?? I'm getting more excited about this!
Pretty much every SNES rom out there is about 1GB, same for megadrive ROMS. Don't worry, you'll soon fill your card...

Lurkio said:
PhoenixAshes said:
I've always found the http://www.gp2x.co.uk/ site to be reliable, but the gp2x.co.uk and gbax.com sites are owned by the same person so i'd go with the gbax site to save cash, when they get stock in of course. :)

It seems the difference between gp2x.co.uk and GBAX is only £10, so not a massive difference. Seems strange though that sites owned by the same person are different prices and at different stock levels.

PhoenixAshes said:
It seems the difference between gp2x.co.uk and GBAX is only £10, so not a massive difference. Seems strange though that sites owned by the same person are different prices and at different stock levels.
The GP2X seems to be out of stock on both sites at the moment, though on the gbax site they tell you that before you order. ;)

Also as an alternative http://www.gp2xstore.com/ have some F-200s in stock, they seem to be as cheap as the ones on play-asia and people on these forums have found them to be a more reliable distributor.

Lurkio said:
PhoenixAshes said:
The GP2X seems to be out of stock on both sites at the moment, though on the gbax site they tell you that before you order. ;)

Also as an alternative http://www.gp2xstore.com/ have some F-200s in stock, they seem to be as cheap as the ones on play-asia and people on these forums have found them to be more reliable.

GP2X.co.uk says "Now Shipping after 23 January" - how do you tell if they don't have stock?

Just thought i'd let you guys know that I’ve taken delivery today of my f200. Very good unit, much better screen than the f100. I'm using it for dev and it's fine. Just got my new touch screen app running.

Anyway the only thing I wasn't prepared for is that the sd-card slot in my case is noticeably tighter. Not causing any issue, but it's not as 'loose' shall we say as my brothers f100 (that’s had some use)

Gp2x.co.uk had said that GPH had some issues with a broken(overly tight you'd loose youre sd card) back in November 2007 ish (according to gp2x.co.uk), but GPH had assured that they were sorted out in the new batches. Apparently what I have f200 B feb 07... new shipment

Just be aware that you look for a new build and also be aware that if you have/had a slightly iffy sd card (that may work ok in another bedded in device) perhaps with a very very slight twist like I had then you may find it very stiff/tight on the f200. In other words the f200 sd-slots from what I have seen dont seem to have as much lee-way... Maybe they give abit over time. I had a camera like that....

Anyway Hope that helps...I'll be keeping mine for now...Very nice kit :)

edit 1: My F200 sd card slot is loosening up lovely now. Still be aware of the issue above. Only after a few hundred insertions (dev/games etc) has it started to loosen.

edit 2: Some other brands of sd card are still overly tight in the unit. Not sure if this is a new problem with the later builds?

Back