Getting Prepared For Delivery Day!

gmhuntr7

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Now that we know that the Pandora will be shipped as they are made and tested (source: http://forum.openpandora.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=405), I just wanted to ask a couple things:

1. Would it be best to go straight to using it since it's pretested or should we still let it fully charge before using it for max battery life?

2. Now that there's a possibility that it's coming earlier, anyone else tempted to get an SDHC card earlier? I was planning on waiting for black Friday, but now I dunno if I can wait that long. :p I'm keeping my eye on this page http://dealnews.com/memory/prices/Secure-D...SD/30/16GB.html

3. Speaking of SDHC cards, how are you guys getting it ready for launch? I'm assuming http://archive.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi will have more content later.

Hopefully this topic helps out other people who are preparing too! :D

Im getting ready by getting a load of roms of the emulators which are already done or close to completion.

Thats all there is to getting ready now next to getting SDHC cards :)

I have a 16GB SDHC I use in my camera and eeepc. I suppose I will share it with the Pandora in the beginning. But if I can get a 32GB SDC for cheap in a month or two I will get one just for the Pandora.

I wonder when 64GB SDHC's will drop under $100? I haven't been watching prices much.

gmhuntr7 said:
Now that we know that the Pandora will be shipped as they are made and tested (source: http://forum.openpandora.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=405), I just wanted to ask a couple things:

1. Would it be best to go straight to using it since it's pretested or should we still let it fully charge before using it for max battery life?

2. Now that there's a possibility that it's coming earlier, anyone else tempted to get an SDHC card earlier? I was planning on waiting for black Friday, but now I dunno if I can wait that long. :p I'm keeping my eye on this page http://dealnews.com/memory/prices/Secure-D...SD/30/16GB.html

3. Speaking of SDHC cards, how are you guys getting it ready for launch? I'm assuming http://archive.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi will have more content later.

Hopefully this topic helps out other people who are preparing too! :D

I'm going to be itching to get stuck in. I don't know how best to look after the lithium polymer battery Pandora comes with guess I should get on Google. I did read somewhere on the forum that charging to 60% was optimum for lifespan. I don't know if thats true.

I ordered a 32Gb card with the Pandora. I was intending to wait. Couldn't help it in the end.

Considering what we've seen as demos and progress reports theres already loads headed for the archives. Ought to get stuck in and do some developing porting myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are looking for a deal on SD cards check out Adorama or Beach camera, they are both having a big rebate sale on several CF and SDHC cards

Adorama

slickdeals.net page describing deal

I just got 3 of the sandisk 4GB 30MB/sec SDHC cards, and man are they fast (use them in my camera) and after rebate I paid $75 for the 3 of them ($25 a piece is really good for these cards since they are way above class 6, which is 6MB/sec, these are more like class 30 ;) )

Well it's only true that you should charge LiIon batteries to 40% and store them in low temperature to conserve their capacity if you won't be using them for a long time.

Don't tell anyone but, i'm still going to clean my room a few days before it arrives in preparation. :lol:

This site has tons of crap about batteries: http://batteryuniversity.com/
That might answer some questions.

EDIT: "Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory."
Looks like it wouldn't matter if you fully charge it first.

I'm probably gonna buy one of those transcend 16gb sd cards as soon as I save up enough money.

I've got 2 16gb class 6 Sd cards for my N800 - plenty of room and fast :)
I'll use one of them for the Pandora until 32gb prices drop I geuss.

I do would like to know a bit more about what OS is going to considered the "standard" distro however.
Not clear to me if this is now going to be Ubuntu or anything else.

Would love to sea Maemo on this running....(I really like my N800 )
I think it would be great to see both community's working together on this.

Edit: oh yes, to counter any immediate flame: I did checked the wiki and I know where the "search" button is...

absolofdoom said:
This site has tons of crap about batteries: http://batteryuniversity.com/
That might answer some questions.

EDIT: "Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory."
Looks like it wouldn't matter if you fully charge it first.-

LiIon does need to be "broken in" however, meaning that a LiIon battery will only reach its full potential after a couple of charge-discharge cycles. There's nothing special that needs to be done, but if you let a new battery sweat a bit the first couple of cycles (by letting it discharge fairly deeply -- not completely though!), it will reach peek performance quicker.

Prophet said:
I have a 16GB SDHC I use in my camera and eeepc. I suppose I will share it with the Pandora in the beginning. But if I can get a 32GB SDC for cheap in a month or two I will get one just for the Pandora.

I wonder when 64GB SDHC's will drop under $100? I haven't been watching prices much.

64GB SDHC cards? Where do you find those? I've never seen em before.

joa said:
Don't tell anyone but, i'm still going to clean my room a few days before it arrives in preparation. :lol:
Reminds me of a saying from a particular movie that went something like "Don't interrupt me whilst I'm cleaning my room!". He wanted to be alone with Mr Hoover :D

Lets just hope that this doesn't happen with the Pandoras, as it did with the EEE PC.

I have an 8GB SDHC card from my old EeePC (upgraded to the 900 20g from the 701 4g) I cant see myself needing anymore space, I have plenty of small 2GB ones which I expect will be used in the other slot for dual booting etc.

32GB is an artificial cap, new cards up to 2048GB should work without any problems with current readers (would require a driver update at most).

Etinin said:
32GB is an artificial cap, new cards up to 2048GB should work without any problems with current readers (would require a driver update at most).
32GB is no artificial cap, it is the maximum they can get on a SDHC card with the current specification.

2048GB is the maximum limit which can be theoretically fitted inside a SDHC card.

Yes, but that specification is an artificial limit, there is no specific hardware/logical constraint besides the specification of the standard that 32GB is the maximum.
If you took a 64GB card and used it with present readers it would most likely work.

Lets stop with arguing with some official words:

"In terms of capacity, two types of SD Memory Cards are defined:
• Standard Capacity SD Memory Cards supports capacity up to and including 2 G bytes
All versions of the Physical Specifications define the Standard Capacity SD Memory Card.
• High Capacity SD Memory Cards supports capacity more than 2 G bytes and this version of specification limits capacity up to and including 32 GB. High Capacity SD Memory Card is newly defined from the Physical Layer Specification Version 2.00. SD Memory Cards with a capacity greater than 32 GB will be available with updated versions of Part 1 and Part 2 Specifications."

it also says:

"As the maximum capacity of the Physical Layer Specification Version 2.00 is 32 GB, the upper 6 bits of the C_SIZE field shall be set to 0."

Conclusion: It *may* work, but don't assume it. It is entirely possible for drivers and readers to assume anything in the upper 6 bits of C_SIZE is an error.

Also, don't forget that the AU (Allocation Unit) size may change for 64GB devices. At the moment, its 4MB for 32GB devices. If this does increase, it may mean more memory required for buffers, and as such, may mean different hardware for some card readers.

Squidge said:
Reminds me of a saying from a particular movie that went something like "Don't interrupt me whilst I'm cleaning my room!". He wanted to be alone with Mr Hoover :D
I believe that was from the first "Scary Movie". The retarded character named Goofy says it. What do I win?

Back