Getting music for PrBoom

FaeMinx

Rainbow Liberation Instigation
As a Linux noob I'm not really sure how to enable music in PrBoom.

Do I really have to download a 14mb file: timidity.tar.gz from http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/

"The SDL_mixer library used by PrBoom supports software MIDI music synthesis. If you want to hear the Doom music, you need a set of Timidity instrument patches. Get the timidity.tar.gz from the bottom of the SDL_mixer page, and extract in /usr/local/lib. You may need to symlink /usr/local/lib/timidity/timidity.cfg to /etc/timidity — see the console output from PrBoom to see where it is looking for this file."

I don't even know what 'symlink' means :rolleyes:

As a Linux noob I'm not really sure how to enable music in PrBoom.

Do I really have to download a 14mb file: timidity.tar.gz from http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/

"The SDL_mixer library used by PrBoom supports software MIDI music synthesis. If you want to hear the Doom music, you need a set of Timidity instrument patches. Get the timidity.tar.gz from the bottom of the SDL_mixer page, and extract in /usr/local/lib. You may need to symlink /usr/local/lib/timidity/timidity.cfg to /etc/timidity — see the console output from PrBoom to see where it is looking for this file."

I don't even know what 'symlink' means :rolleyes:
Well, there's a Timidity installer PND, does that work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the timidity installer PND is a god send. Doing things manually was a chore before (I got Doom and Descent working fine but the King and ROTT flatly refused to use the same set) and I do think there's a marked improvement to the sound quality using the large file set installed to SD. Though others found some slowdown was caused by that.

One point though, if you change your mind and wish to install a different set, or to a different location. Make sure you run the PND again and FIRST scroll to the uninstall previous version option. As it will disappear if you install another version on the top or elsewhere and that NAND space will be gone. Unless Sebt3 and Skeezix have added options for that eventuality since.

As it will disappear if you install another version on the top or elsewhere and that NAND space will be gone. Unless Sebt3 and Skeezix have added options for that eventuality since.

The installer keep track of installed sound-set. using the uninstall option uninstall every previous installation. Dont worry ;)

As it will disappear if you install another version on the top or elsewhere and that NAND space will be gone. Unless Sebt3 and Skeezix have added options for that eventuality since.

The installer keep track of installed sound-set. using the uninstall option uninstall every previous installation. Dont worry ;)
Does it work with Doom Legacy?

EDIT: Yeah, I wasn't using it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back