George Hotz runs away to South America

Hotz is Assange, who's let the cat out of the bag, and is now on the run because the people with the money and power are out to make an example of him.
Looks like he's just on vacation;

Factually, it’s true I’m in South America, on a vacation I’ve had planned and paid for since November. I mean, it is Spring break; hacking isn’t my life. Rest assured that not a dime of legal defense money would ever go toward something like this. And of course Townsend loves the idea of painting me as an international fugitive. I have been in contact with my lawyers almost every day; I would not let the case suffer. That said, I also won’t let this ridiculous lawsuit run my life either. Then the fearmongerers win.

I will be back, I hear it’s hard to come by the Xperia Play down here.

And I hope every Sony supporter is silenced very soon, for their own good. There is nothing more irritating than watching people being mind-controlled into worshipping the feet, ground-walked-upon, and faeces of the corporations (and/or government) that quite honestly couldn't give a shit less about them. I think that's what they call the Stockholm syndrome.
Looks like he supports their products;

I will be back, I hear it’s hard to come by the Xperia Play down here.

:p

He wouldn't be interested, Hotz is a hacker (and a real douchebag, I agree), he opens the devices to the devs by making custom firmwares.

Pandora's hardware is already accessible to anyone that wants to write code for it.

What irritates me is that everybody is referring him as the one who cracked the PS3 open, when the major actors that discovered the breach in PS3 security are failoverflow…

Last edited by a moderator:
XBMC is all I want them to perfect. I still can't let go of my original Xbox!
Agreed, I need to stop being lazy and mod mine. Out of curiosity, once I mod it/install XBMC, will I be able to use it to launch my games?

He wouldn't be interested, Hotz is a hacker (and a real douchebag, I agree), he opens the devices to the devs by making custom firmwares.

Pandora's hardware is already accessible to anyone that wants to write code for it.

What irritates me is that everybody is referring him as the one who cracked the PS3 open, when the major actors that discovered the breach in PS3 security are failoverflow…

He's not really a douchebag IRL, he just plays one on the internet

Seriously though, take a look at anyone you know IRL and see how they are portrayed/look on the internet, they probably look a bit more like a dick.

As for the reason everyone referres to him as the one who cracked the ps3:

fail0verflow found a way to exploit lv2ldr (which they made public) and AFTER this, a vulnerability in the encryption implementation (which they also made public), which they used to get lv2ldr's keys.

George found a way to exploit metldr (which he DID NOT make public). metldr is earlier in the boot chain and was apparently a more reliable/useful exploit. After he exploited metldr he used the vulnerability fail0verflow found to get the keys from it.

I remember Craig said the crypto vulnerability was actually fairly simple/the first thing people look for, the real achievement (or at least a significant one) is finding the attack vector to the given loader.

He's the one Sony is suing currently, and them labeling him "the man who hacked the PS3" has been very successful in making many PSN players mad at him, despite him having no code for game exploits and specifically having safeguards against piracy (as well as not publishing the needed keys/features) for enabling piracy. Its to make him the target of victims of cheating's hate, and bad press.

Also, as far as I know, no one knows who exactly the people at fail0verflow are. George has his personal info on everything, so he is serving as a lightning rod for this.

Seriously though, take a look at anyone you know IRL and see how they are portrayed/look on the internet, they probably look a bit more like a dick.

I'm the same IRL as I am online, and if you ask me it's more that internet douchebags are playing as nice guys in person than the other way around.

Regardless of what you think of the cause he's behind most agree he is kind of a self-serving douchebag.
Tend to agree, and I think it applies to both of them.

I think Assange is a goddamn hero, and I'm an American.

Generally, it's the blind sheople who don't support him.

The parallels between them are extremely convincing.

Sony is the US, who's pissed their little secrets (which they really shouldn't have had) got out.

Hotz is Assange, who's let the cat out of the bag, and is now on the run because the people with the money and power are out to make an example of him.
Indeed. That's why Hotz having a go at Assange rubbed me the wrong way; here was a man being subjected to the exact same kind of witch hunt, yet Hotz implied that his need for donations was more valid than Assange's.

It's a funny world when you can dislike someone, yet remain 100% behind what they stand for. Sadly there are a lot of people saying "Hotz acts like a douche" therefore "he should go to jail" without considering any of the principles that are at stake.

I really hope Sony fails in this pursuit.
So Hotz doesn't agree with Assange so all Americans don't agree with him either?

I'm an American and I agree with both of them, they're taking risks for freedom and that is commendable.

I'm the same IRL as I am online, and if you ask me it's more that internet douchebags are playing as nice guys in person than the other way around.
greater_internet_fuckwad_theory.png

My point is that you can act the same in both mediums but the douche stands out more online. Probably one of those context/bodylanguage/tone things, though I feel some of the news tends to bleed into people's perceptions too. Because of this I make a deliberate effort to be nicer / less harsh online (also because there are usually 9001 people already being very over-confrontational and I don't need to join in).

And my IRL knowledge of him is more than just a passing meeting. While he may have changed since HS, I see no indication of it in person or in what he's done (dropped out of college, worked for google but left, intermediate hacks by him described as "cool but wtf do we do with them" etc)

he may come off as arrogant, sure, but for the amount he knows/can do you'd expect him to sound a lot MORE arrogant.

:lol: I actually had to look that up to make sure. That applies more to "(also because there are usually 9001 people already being very over-confrontational and I don't need to join in)"

Someone who speaks like a keyboard warrior types probably has roughly the same amount of douche showing on both mediums though

The "greater internet fuckwad theory" was basically there to respond to "if you ask me it's more that internet douchebags are playing as nice guys in person than the other way around" since it basically dictates that ANYONE will become an ass on the internet.

Wow I meant to post this earlier but it got buried under ADD and tabs.

Back