Geography Capitals Quiz

Sofox

Still Fresh
Hey guys, my first programming submission so be gentle.

Anyway, while we're waiting for the contest results, I'm releasing my own program. Yes, I meant it to be submitted but what are you going to do?
It's pretty basic, a simple quiz/game where you are given a country name and you have to chose the correct capital from one of the 4 options, expanding your geographical knowlege while testing it to the limit.

geoQuiz.png

Originally I had a ton of extra features and things I intended to put in, but I kept scaling back so that I could actually get to something playable.
So now that this version is done, I figure I'll let you guys play it so you can try it out, tell me what you think of it and how it can be improved so I have more set goals for when I develop future versions. Any advice is appreciated.

Since it's programmed in Python, you'll need the PyGame libraries, downloadable here: http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,14,917 (put the python folder onto the root of your SD card and you're set). My game itself just needs to be unzipped to the root folder.

GeoQuiz Download

Cheers

That is pretty cool! Well... the gfx is not so appealing but it's a quiz-game so what the heck. Let's hear those ideas of not yet implemented features!

Not implemented features?
Well originally I wanted to show a world map with one country hilighted and a multiple choice selection on what that country was.
Another quiz idea was for displaying flags and being given a choice of countries and also the other way around.
There were little things too (better gfx, high scores, selection of continent to be tested on etc.)
On a big scale, this was meant to be a big, geography testing package for people who want to challenge themselves and improve their geographical knowledge in the process. As I said, I decided to focus on on area to complete it first.

Ah okay... I think those ideas are great! So since you are saying you wanted to concentrate on one area first, does that mean you will continue this and add the other features? Do you need any help with graphics? Because I would really like to take part in making a quiz game.

Well, I'm going to improve it in whatever way I think is best. Like I said, at first I was restricting myself so I could produce something small but finished as opposed to something big but half cooked. Now that that's done and I've got a base, I can work out the rest of it.
As for graphics, yeah, definitely, I'd love help with the graphics. It's something that needs improvement but not something I'm the best with.

cool... I will whip up some interface graphics. I still promised to do some tiles for the pirates2x port... haven't done that yet. Damnit.

Back