Genesis And Snes Emulators For The Gp32

GigaDrive runs at almost perfect speed without sound and has great compability, same for OpenSnes9x 0.2 (You can enable sound on OS9x 0.2). :)

OS9xGp does not run at full speed with sound even if you have a 166mhz GP32 (you have to increase the frameskip to about 3-4).
Gigadrive and the newest beta of Fgen do not have sound YET but run at about frameskip 1 with full speed...
Compatability for the Gigadrive and Fgen is not that high yet as it runs using the new cyclone core to gain better speed (by fdave). However quite a few games are playable...

(*However new versions of both of the above emulators should soon be coming out so we will see what happens)

Compatability for the Gigadrive and Fgen is not that high<- have you tryd the newest evrsionS? the compatibility seems to be very high, dont have a game tryd that dont work

The Newest FGen can play Phantasy Star 4 with sound(although the sound is nice it isnt quite perfect yet) but I get fullspeed at 166 and autoframskip. The game runs nice and smooth too(although I noticed sometimes when you press the talk button there can be a slight stutter or chopiness for about a second).

EDIT: Has anyone been able to get Shadow Run to work? It works up until the title menu when you cannot select new game for me. Just wondering if I have a bad image.

OS9xGp does not run at full speed with sound even if you have a 166mhz GP32 (you have to increase the frameskip to about 3-4).
Gigadrive and the newest beta of Fgen do not have sound YET but run at about frameskip 1 with full speed...
Compatability for the Gigadrive and Fgen is not that high yet as it runs using the new cyclone core to gain better speed (by fdave). However quite a few games are playable...

(*However new versions of both of the above emulators should soon be coming out so we will see what happens)
It is dependant to the ROM... some of them run full speed with sound. And on many ROMs a frameskip of about 2 isn´t meaning that the game is choppy!
F.i. Super Turrican & Metal Warriors are running VERY fluid with sound, frameskip 2 and @ only 156Mhz (my gp32_console is @ 166Mhz luckily :lol: :lol: :lol: )...and that are very nice scrolling shooters!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gigadrive and the newest beta of Fgen do not have sound YET
yes they do. but it is quite limited and only works for a few games but the next versions will be incredible (i hope)
:unsure: Well I have all of the most recent Beta's and i just thought it would be wrong to give him the impression that sound has been fully implemented as that will not happen until Reesy's Z80 core has been added.

have you tryd the newest evrsionS? the compatibility seems to be very high, dont have a game tryd that dont work

Yes I have tried the latest but IMO there are still many games that do not work yet, and as i said they will when the cyclone core has more bugs fixed.

To me OSXGP does not seem to be very fluid at all yet, especially if you compare it to fgen.

However as i said new versions shall be coming out soon so there should be some big improvements to all of the things i stated.

I just get a little annoyed when people make out that SNES and GENESIS have been emulated perfectly as it raises newbies hopes up and then we get annoying posts on "Why doesn't this work" or "this is really slow/buggy" or "will N64 be emulated as SNES and GENESIS are emulated perfectly".
They also then have less of an understanding on how difficult it has been for some of the most recent emulators to have been made...
The newbies who act like this are often annoyed as before they brought their GP32 they were under the impression that it was going to do this and that.
They then get flamed continuously by the same people who told them that SNES emulation was perfect to begin with.

And on many ROMs a frameskip of about 2 isn´t meaning that the game is choppy!

I didn't say that I was using a frameskip of 2 to get full speed, I said that many games need a frameskip of 3-4 to get full speed, which is choppy.
Frameskip 2 isn't completely fluid anyway that's what frameskip 0 is for.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree it raises newbies hopes. Received mine a few days ago and I'm a little disappointed. However I recognise that this is because of the fact I probably filtered out of my perception any negatives in the SNES/Genesis emu arena.

I for one appreciate the truth.

Looks to me like these emus are still WIP's and so long as that's the case there is always hope.

I would happily pay for a SNES and/Or Genesis Emu that ran full speed when clocked at about 150mhz - though I know that's not exactly the opensource attitude.

Or I would pay to have my gp32 overclocked upgraded whatever it needs. I only seem to get 150mhz unfortunately

-SS

@ sebastian: And i didn`t say that MOST games run fullspeed @frameskip 2. In fact maybe 30% of all commercial ROMs and about 80% PD_ROMs do. But some of those games are: the Donkey Kong series, the Mechwarrior series, Super Mario World/Allstars, Super Turrican (2) and so on... I love those games and in my unsignificant opinion, even they are well worth buing a GP32! (or Zodiac) So do not underestimate SNES emulation on the gp32_console !

Back