Generic Controller Interface.

EdZ

First, a little backstory;

After having numerous annoyances whilst listening to music with my GP32 in my pocket and trying to control it, i began to think of how to make a line control, like on most CD/MD/MP3 players. it would only need to re-use the buttons already on the GP32, as they are already set up in the player. But then I got to thinking, what about other controls?

My idea- A generic interface drivr or port on the GP32 allowing you to make a controller utilising the existing GP323 buttons without having to code your own driver. e.g. Say I wanted to make a line control as per my original idea. i would make the controller with the required buttons, then using a PIC I would connect up the buttons and flash the PIc with the correct controller interface (to allow it to communicate with the GP32 using only 2 or 3 wires, instead of 2 for each button). This would connect to either the GP32's EXT port, or to a generic port modded directly to the GP32 itself (I'm hoping for the first option). The advantage of this method would be that anyone could make their own controllers with any size & shape they want, and with little electronic knowledge, apart from rudimentary soldering skills and a PIC flasher. Also, connecting a extra button to multiple buttons (e.g. an X button connected to L and A pins on the PIC) would allow button combos to be used as extra 'soft' buttons.

hm..; nice idea, but I personaly I don't need that :) I'm happy with the newest GP32 mp3-player, works great for me :)

Great idea m8, I would love one of these to control my Mp3s while on the move!

If you get it up and running, let me know how much you want for one???

Good luck

Deano

I dont understand, someone explain in simpleton terms, just for me

A controller the size of a pen lid with "Play", "Pause", and "Skip forward" on it.

Or going to the other extreme, a full size arcade controller :D

why would you need to use a pic chip? it seems like all you need is a simple connection to each wire. unless you wanted to make it do certain routines in which case i suppose you could use a pic chip to use variables.

divadsci posted on Feb 19 2004 at 08:36 PM said:
why would you need to use a pic chip? it seems like all you need is a simple connection to each wire. unless you wanted to make it do certain routines in which case i suppose you could use a pic chip to use variables.
The PIC chip would allow several buttons to be connected using only 2 or 3 wires, instead of a whiole mass of them. And sorry if I gave the impression - I can't code, this is just an abstract concept, don't expect me to be actually making it.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey if you made the hardware hack i could make the pic chip code. ive been busy learning how to do that in electronics. the end result is now christmas tree lights in which the routine is programmable by the user

divadsci posted on Feb 19 2004 at 09:37 PM said:
hey if you made the hardware hack i could make the pic chip code. ive been busy learning how to do that in electronics. the end result is now christmas tree lights in which the routine is programmable by the user
The hardware and PIC program is the easy part, i can do that myself (although you are welcome to do the PIC program and save me the time on top of my exams). the hard part, that I cannot do, is coding the driveer for the GP32 itself, and the controller interrupt sequence, which would be needed befor the PIC could be programmed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back