Release Gemrb

I got 800x480 working recently for BGII.

1. Install the game somewhere using Windows or Wine.

2. Download and install this patch.

Install for GemRB. I tried the Infinity Engine at first, but mine wouldn't patch because of an .exe problem. You don't need to patch the executables because you're using a different engine! The GemRB option works fine.

3. Lowercase everything in the install directory.

I used spacetornado Renamer for Windows.

4. Move each of the CD#\Data directory contents to the main data directory.

5. Copy the following directories and all non-executable data in the root directory to appdata\bg2 on your Pandora:

• characters
  • data
  • music
  • override
  • scripts
  • sounds
  • widescreen

After all this it runs smooth as butter with a bit of overclocking (800 MHz), until you hit special effects that force it to stutter. This was actually a dealbreaker for me, as the stuttering really destroys the immersion. I'll keep this particular game to my laptop unless further improvements in processing for the Pandora arise.

explain step 3 and 4 a bit more as i think i messed up somewhere in that are, bg2 runs, but i didnt get it full screen

If you run but don't get full screen, that tells me the patch perhaps didn't apply, so step #2 might be your holdup... Did you use the Windows version of the patch?

3. All files/folders should have only lower case letters. I think after using spacetornado some of my folders still had upper case letters, but it seemed to work fine all the same. I don't know how to lower case in Linux, but I have seen scripts and I'm sure you could Google some if you want to go that route. This is a Linux compatibility thing, where Windows doesn't care about case but Linux does.

4. If you install the CD versions, then after a full install you will have directories CD2, CD3, and CD4. Each of these will contain a data directory whose contents needs to go to the main /data folder. So, bg2/CD2/Data => bg2/data, and so on. Don't worry about copying over duplicate files, as they should be exactly the same. I believe the CD's contained some redundant data, so that when you played a minimal install and swapped CD's, you wouldn't have to do so as often.

i used a win netbook to do all the patching, seemed to work out fine, but i didnt do any renaming to lower case latters, so im guessing this is where my problem is, and i dont have the cd version, i grabbed it off GOG.com

Hmm, probably don't have to worry about the CD thing then. Try lower casing to see if that resolves it. Otherwise maybe the mod won't work with the GOG version.

OK seems like the stuttering is just lack of power :(

Is there a way to stop the characters blabbering all the time? It makes the audio unbearable. The ingame option doesn't seem to have any effect. That's BG1.

well damnit somebody couldve said the widescreen mod doesnt affect the menu, i probably had it right the first time, but redid it 3 times because i saw the menu wasnt fullscreen

Hi,

Is there a place where I could download only the required files to play the BG1 demo with Gemrb ?

I'm just too lazy to run setup.exe through Wine :p

Bye and thanks :)

Magic Sam

Awesome,
thanks for keeping Gemrb up to date. I a having great fun with BG1.
However, I still can´t get BG2 & IWD to work. I am using the GOG versions & copied all the appropriate files to their respective directories. When I select BG2 or IWD from the menu, it just exits the menu & then nothing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i was able to use the bh2 from GOG, so you should be fine, just follow the instruction few pages behind this one about full screen mod.

Still no joy after doing the widescreen install.
Any idea what is going on ?
Thanks for any help

zapman said:
DaMummy said:
is there a way to make the games full screen on linux using wine? i also only have the GOG files

The instructions given here should also work with wine.

The site where the fullscreen GUI mod can be downloaded is online again, I will try it out just now.

EDIT: dang! the fullscreen mod doesn't support 800x480 px. I asked the developer of the mod if he could implement it though.

There is an updated widescreenmod available. It now has the 800x480 resolution, yay! I can't get it to work though, but I'm still on it, talking to the developer. I will keep you updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Half an hour ago, Zed Nocear kindly updated his wide screen GUI mod for GemRB. Get it here. I recommend to set 150% bigger fonts (when asked by the installer), it's so much better to read!

Back