Release Gemrb

JurnD

Still Fresh
Hi,

You can now grab GemRB 0.6.1 (to play Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale)from here.
Please post any feedback here.

Thanks.

JurnD

JurnD said:
Hi,

You can now grab GemRB 0.6.1 (to play Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale)from here.
Please post any feedback here.

Thanks.

JurnD

Just playing BG1 on it. Sounds and music is great. Cursor placement gets a little messed up if you switch between using nubs and touchscreen, and its difficult to just use one as its easy to accidentally touch the screen or nubs.
Great release otherwise! THANK YOU!

Last edited by a moderator:
Which games are completable in GemRB?

I was a big fan of Icewind Dale I must admit; the wiki suggests:

GemRB is quite complete, especially regarding bg2, bg1 and iwd (but not the extensions) which can be roughly played through.

Still, its an incredible showpiece for a device .. mind blowingly awesome :)

Did MechCommander 1 source ever get released? I think MC2 did; I really liked MC1 .. that woudl be a wicked candidate ;)

jeff

I played both Baldur and Icewind a couple of hours through GemRB on pandora at 600 Mhz. Didn't run into any big problems besides Icewind being a little slow every now and then. I must say, i have not been able to come to a solution concerning some warnings when compiling GemRB regarding some spells and arrows not doing exactly what they are supposed to do. But I have not noticed anything yet while playing. Tomorrow evening I will start on GemRB 0.6.2. If i run into problems i will share them, maybe Skeezix can help me out a bit. ;)

Edit: got called back, removed.

JurnD

*G* I'll help where I can of course :)

Whats the changelog from 0.6.1 to 0.6.2 .. 2 months apart, with only minimal changes it looks like, so probably shoudl build right out of the box for you?

jeff

I wonder how the engine works -- is this an engine were the game logic/rules/etc are part of the files (analagous to zmachine files), or are the AD&D rules and such built into the engine itself? ie: I'm wondering how well the AI and combat rules and such compare in GemRB to the originals; if all the real logic is in the datafiles, maybe GemRB is very representative?

So... been wondering why Planescape Torment seems to be working (great?!) on N900 and not on our Pandy? :\
Started playing it again on my PC today. Seems to be the perfect game for GemRB because of the big GUI and everything. :)

skeezix said:
*G* I'll help where I can of course :)

Whats the changelog from 0.6.1 to 0.6.2 .. 2 months apart, with only minimal changes it looks like, so probably shoudl build right out of the box for you?

jeff

I wonder how the engine works -- is this an engine were the game logic/rules/etc are part of the files (analagous to zmachine files), or are the AD&D rules and such built into the engine itself? ie: I'm wondering how well the AI and combat rules and such compare in GemRB to the originals; if all the real logic is in the datafiles, maybe GemRB is very representative?

It sounds like things are built into their engine based on their Todo List

Under Combat:
"implement customisable combat calculation, it should be general enough to simulate all games, without any hardcoded parts"

I did see some bugs,

- sometimes the frames on the side dissapear (mostly during fights)
- Deleting save games does not work properly, you can delete by pressing delete and than delete again and then cancel however it than either takes you back to the game or back to xcfe (however the savegame is deleted then)
- It is not possible to overwrite a savegame

I never played the original but the fights seem unusually hard even with pausing etc, it's very hard to follow whats happening, especially spells look kind of random and glitchy

Some font colours are unreadable it's like salmon coloured on salmon background the scrolls in the character menu have this the most.

Hey guys! I would love to take a look at the "inside" of the gemrb.pnd file to see if there is anything I can do with the cfg files to make PST possible! :D Any ideas?
If someone could send me the files from the pnd I will go and try! :)
Can't seem to open the pnd myself, and currently I'm stuck with Windows PC... no Linux...

Nupfi said:
Hey guys! I would love to take a look at the "inside" of the gemrb.pnd file to see if there is anything I can do with the cfg files to make PST possible! :D Any ideas?
If someone could send me the files from the pnd I will go and try! :)
Can't seem to open the pnd myself, and currently I'm stuck with Windows PC... no Linux...

Hi Nupfi,

The problem with PST lies with GemRB itself at the moment. From their website:

GemRB is quite complete, especially regarding bg2, bg1 and iwd (but not the extensions) which can be roughly played through. There is of course still stuff to be done.

PST and IWD2 are not completable and require a lot more love.

I can try this weekend to run it on pandora and let you know the result. Also I can send you the PND inside (can't reach them now) this weekend, but I don't think it will do you any good.

Now, let me see if i can obtain PST somewhere ;)

Jurn

Edit: Found it, well maybe i have some time tomorrow to find out how well it runs...

Maybe I'm stupid or something but I am playing BG1 and I want to go to the friendly arm inn and when I get to the north path (the forrest with crossroard) and I go to the edge en then to the map but when I click on the friendly arm it goes back to the forrest. Can somebody help me?

JurnD, that would be so awesome!
Keeping my fingers crossed! :) Thanks for sharing your work with us!

Bosbeetle said:
Maybe I'm stupid or something but I am playing BG1 and I want to go to the friendly arm inn and when I get to the north path (the forrest with crossroard) and I go to the edge en then to the map but when I click on the friendly arm it goes back to the forrest. Can somebody help me?

I will check this out tonight. Possibly there is a problem with the data location in the config file. I will let you know.

Jurn

PS I have taken your other bugs into account and will see what i can do.

JurnD said:
Bosbeetle said:

I will check this out tonight. Possibly there is a problem with the data location in the config file. I will let you know.

Jurn

PS I have taken your other bugs into account and will see what i can do.

It already very good and fun to play on the pandora but it could be even better :D Thanks a lot for all your effort.

Nupfi said:
JurnD, that would be so awesome!
Keeping my fingers crossed! :) Thanks for sharing your work with us!

Hi Nupfi,

Wanted to let you know that PST does indeed seem to work. Problem is, I don't know how well. Also, i actually never played it so i don't have the feel for how it should be.
But, i will include it in the next PND update so someone else can let us know.

I will test a little further.

Jurn

Back