Gcc

Squidge

Certified Guru
Website
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone is playing around with a more recent GCC than 2.95 yet - 3.4 or above would be nice. Or have I got to compile myself a newer gcc? Doesn't matter if it's Linux or Windows based - I've got both.

Not sure if I've understoof the question right, so please forgive me if the answer is irrelevant :)

I presume you're talking about your ARM gcc - in which case the more recent, the better. There's been many improvements over time, and now you have a choice of gcc-3.3.6 which is very mature and good, gcc-3.4.x which is a little less mature but still good, or 4.0.x which has a new optimisation architecture and may well be better but is still a little rough around the edges.

For a guide to building your own toolchain, see cobbleware (wow - I must get rid of that software patents page) or have a look at WntrMute's devkitpro stuff.

In any case, 2.95 is way out of date and you need to chuck it immediately!

Hmmm,

Ok, I was hacking about with GCC 4 for the 2X. Not made a huge amount of progess but I'll work on a how-to.

I assume for normal raw hardware a NewLib based GCC a'la GP32 is the way to go?

For Linux we need to go for a gLibC based compiler with an ARM-LINUX target and we may have a bit of a ball ache linking (static, shared, ancient etc.) stuff, not 100% sure as I have not seen the kernel in the flesh.

Am I correct in that?

For normal, raw hardware, I just hacked up DevKitARM, and rewrote the linker script, startup files, and such. Seems to work ok, although I've not actually called any library functions yet, but I would have thought if those were a problem, it would fail when it calls init() on startup...

As for your second part, I think you are pretty much spot on.

If you want any info, or to try anything, give me a shout.

Back