Gbax2004 Vs Tomak Compo 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

empee

Still Fresh
Website
empee.daug.net
Ok.. since ppl are fighting this over irc i want to bring this here too ;)

Guyfawkes sent the authors of tomak compo an email asking them to remove the rules that infridge their copyrights ..

the texts ..
on tomak compo page:
- The closing date of the competition is May 1st 2004 at midnight your local time, all entries must be submitted by this date to TOMAKCOMPO@yahoo.fr with the subject 'TOMAKCOMPO 2004 Entry'.
- A 'game.txt' containing the following information should be included with the game: Your name, email address and a brief description of the game.
- 3 screens of your game ( TITLE SCREEN + 2 SCREENSHOTS )
- No splash screen or a mention of the competitions name 'TOMAK COMPO' and also 'www.gp32france.com' in the entry.
- Your game must be fully working on GP32 as this is what all entries must be judged on.
- There is no limit on the file size of the game.
- You can make a no-violent game if you want to :)
- No Emulator accepted.
- You may port an existing Game. If you are doing this please try to get permission from the original author as they may not like people possibly winning a prize from their original work.
- Ripped GFX are accepted ( nintendo gfx are not accepted )
- You can convert your prize to KRW Mileage if you want.
- Multiple entries may be submitted, but you will only be eligible to win one prize.
- You can form a team for the entry but you will be responsible for sharing the prize(s) between your team.
- Game limited to 133Mhz CPU Freq. max.

and GBAX2004 page:

- The closing date of the competition is May 1st 2004 at midnight your local time, all entries must be submitted by this date to gbax2004@gbaemu.com with the subject 'GBAX.COM 2004 Entry'.
- A 'gamename.txt' containing the following information should be included with the entry: Your name, email address and a brief description of the entry.
- There should be a splash screen or a mention of the competitions name 'GBAX.COM 2004' and also 'www.gbaemu.com' / 'www.gp32emu.com' / 'www.zodiacgamer.com' (depending on the machine your entry is) in the entry.
- Your entry must be fully working on hardware as this is what all entries must be judged on.
- There is no limit on the file size of the entry.
- You can enter a violent game if you want to :)
- Emulators should not include commercial roms (PD roms are OK). we can find those online ourselves to test your emulator.
- You may port an existing Game, Emulator or Demo. If you are doing this please try to get permission from the original author as they may not like people possibly winning a prize from their original work.
- Multiple entries may be submitted, but you will only be eligible to win one prize.
- You can form a team for the entry but you will be responsible for sharing the prize(s) between your team.
- No staff or affiliates of GBAX, GBAEmu, GP32Emu or Zodiac Gamer may enter.

and we find several copy&paste parts:
- The closing date of the competition is May 1st 2004 at midnight your local time, all entries must be submitted by this date to gbax2004@gbaemu.com with the subject 'GBAX.COM 2004 Entry'.
- A 'gamename.txt' containing the following information should be included with the entry: Your name, email address and a brief description of the entry.
- Your entry must be fully working on GP32 as this is what all entries must be judged on.
- There is no limit on the file size of the entry.
- You can enter a violent game if you want to :)
- You may port an existing Game, Emulator or Demo. If you are doing this please try to get permission from the original author as they may not like people possibly winning a prize from their original work.

and that's not copyright infrigment says the tomak compo organizers and many other ppl at #gp32dev .. since when?
Atleast in finland that would be considered as copyright infrigment as it's not used with permission or in news article about the other compo.

comments?

I didnt know you could copyright something like that. I mean its plain to see the rules are almost exact but can you really own a set of rules for a competition? I would think they just saw GBAX's rules and thought they looked good so they used them.

Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 19 2004 at 08:54 PM said:
I dont think it really matters now, come on, how pathetic do you have to be to start picking apart copyright infringments in announcements for competitions for free games for the GP32?
I have to say, I'm with you on that one. It probably *is* copyright infringement, but come on. Its not like one competition is likely to infringe on another - if only because the GBAX one is so much better known, and neither seems to stop entries into the other one.

The worst that happens is that the same game gets entered into 2 competitions. Wow. That's a huge problem.

That said, it might be nice if they at least recognised that the rules had been in part nicked from the GBAX one, since someone spent time thinking them up. But it doesn't deserve a firefight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that zodiac and gba will win on gbax but a real gp32's game contest is better.
It is sad to see that the emulators always win the contests and that kill the game development on the gp32.

Empee we know you are with guyfawkes :) it's not a reason to open hostility :)

I want some great game to the gp32 not only emulators !!! :)

Anyone know how established the site is hosting the tomak compo?

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that these guys are hoping to cash in on other peoples work, its no pocket money thats being offered as prizes!

Could this site be waiting for people to submit things, then plan on sending the entries on as their own work?

very suspicious to me... :unsure:

You'll get your games, no matter if they'll win or not. I don't think it's fair to accuse them of destroying game development on the GP32. I'm pretty sure they'll judge objective enough.

Falken .. yea..
but when someone asks you to remove text THEY have written you should really remove it .. not just say "no it's not a copyright infrigment"

I would had had no problems with you if you had just done as guyfawkes asked.. not come and whine and #gp32dev..

and for your (and few other french ppl's) actions most french ppl are banned from #gp32dev

I would have prefered them to end this competiton at a later date, the way i look at it its likely to be the sae gp32 entries in both competitons. And competitions are usually the time when we get some great new shit. Id rather this tomak competition end a few months from now so that we get different stuff out of both competitions.

Not that that has anything to do with copyright infringment. :D

and for your (and few other french ppl's) actions most french ppl are banned from #gp32dev

it's your problem don.
i don't understand why you bannish me.
maybe you are afraid.. or what ? i don't understand.

true

It would be better to split the contest up in (for example) a emu and a games section.
And about the copyrights... Who cares? It dosent effect the entries and its just the rules that have been "overtaken".

You guys dont really need these compos, sure you usually get a couple good games and an emu or two out of the deal, but there are hombrew developers out there like me that would never, ever, enter anything into a contest. So even without contests you still get great games from great developers.

And all you people whining about copyright infringments about a ruleset for a free game compo, you should be ashamed of yourself.

You guys dont really need these compos, sure you usually get a couple good games and an emu or two out of the deal, but there are hombrew developers out there like me that would never, ever, enter anything into a contest. So even without contests you still get great games from great developers.

And all you people whining about copyright infringments about a ruleset for a free game compo, you should be ashamed of yourself.

right, i just want good games and thanks coders for that.

don i'm not hostile.

Hypocrisy having people whine about © on a rule which takes 10 seconds to write, when it is concerning a console which everyone uses emulators on, and those games on the emulators took the developers years to develop.

Guyfawkes is just embarrassing himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back