Gba Sp Batterie Pack?

Raphaelo

Still Fresh
Hello

I have a spare gba sp, and I would like to know if the batterie could be used in the gp2x, the batteries are rated at:
3.8V 600mAh.

Could I safely hook this up to gp2x? I heard that the ideal voltage is 3.7V, but when the batteries are fully charged the voltage becomes higher so I'm not sure if I should risk it and if its worth the risk.

Is there anyone else who tried this before?

reaper79 said:
Well, 3.8v @ 600mah versus AA's of 2.4v @ 2500mah... the SP battery would have 1/3 the power... probably not worth it, even with the added voltage efficiency.
But, they're only about 1/8" thick. (Or, for everyone else, maybe 1/3 of a centimeter thick.) So, you could stack three of them together. Unfortunately, I doubt that you'd be able to find three Nintendo batteries, so you'd have to resort to third-party batteries. (I think that the DS batteries have more power, and the DS lite batteries have more power than the DS ones...)

Last edited by a moderator:
rememberthe8bit said:
reaper79 said:
Well, 3.8v @ 600mah versus AA's of 2.4v @ 2500mah... the SP battery would have 1/3 the power... probably not worth it, even with the added voltage efficiency.
But, they're only about 1/8" thick. (Or, for everyone else, maybe 1/3 of a centimeter thick.) So, you could stack three of them together. Unfortunately, I doubt that you'd be able to find three Nintendo batteries, so you'd have to resort to third-party batteries. (I think that the DS batteries have more power, and the DS lite batteries have more power than the DS ones...)

Alright, but would the voltage be accaptable for the gp2x? perhaps stacking 2 or 3 would be a nice idea.

Raphaelo said:
rememberthe8bit said:
reaper79 said:

Alright, but would the voltage be accaptable for the gp2x? perhaps stacking 2 or 3 would be a nice idea.

Firstly, take a fully charged SP battery, and test the DC voltage with a meter. Secondly, how economical is it going to be to charge 2 or 3 batteries each time they run out of juice? Charge them 1 at a time? Also you will need to devise a way to wire them in parallel to add the amperages together. Then after you're done, take a look at cr-v3 batteries, that come @ 3.6v and 1100-1600mahs and come with dedicated rechargers and can take the place of 2 AA's...

Reaper

Isn't going to work, given the GP2x is such a high drain device. Even if you got over the issue of having 4 together (to give enough juice), 3.8v is probably too much voltage for the GP2x and anyway, the amperage would be too high.

bacteria said:
Isn't going to work, given the GP2x is such a high drain device. Even if you got over the issue of having 4 together (to give enough juice), 3.8v is probably too much voltage for the GP2x and anyway, the amperage would be too high.
Amperage would be too high? Absolutely not, amperage is irrelevant here, that is simply how many amp hours that the battery can supply the given voltage (almost). The only question to such a setup would be if the voltage is too high for the regulator. I believe in the very early testing by Squidge, he used up to 4v. Now, I don't remember if it is you or not Bacteria, but someone here uses 3 AA batteries in series. That would be a nominal voltage of 3.6v... when an AA is fully charges it is somewhere of the magnitude of 1.4v, so 3 in series would total 4.2 volts initially. If a fully charged SP battery is under 4.2 volts, I would wager that it would be fine. This is all just theory for arguments sake, but the question remains, would you really want to have a bunch of SP batteries in your GP2X? Probably not, but that is up to the individual to have fun with.

Reaper

Alright, thanks for the info, I'll stick to my AA's then.

Perhaps I can find some other replacement batterie in my huge hardware pile.

Back