Gamescom 2019

32920-2c517aa7e9f0b15740f099dfb45aeac0.jpg

phwoar, Lara Croft is there

Last edited:
That's the definition of an obstacle. There is still telemetry sent no matter what you do.
Not really. Nothing private for sure. My Win System is pretty closed, I can not even use positioning for websites, which is of course one of the disadvantage.
And besides that, you probably give more private data through social media like Facebook/Twitter etc. away than Windows could ever collect about you. I don't use these and I don't even have a Smartphone. ;)

Digital Foundry people also visited the retro area (no ED/Pyra shots though) but they give their impression.
Spoiler alert: they like the retro area.

Is Gamescom mainly an international trade show or mainly a German trade show? That is, are the vast majority of the attendees from Germany, or do a lot of the attendees come from abroad? How well can a foreigner who speaks only English "survive" there?
[doublepost=1566664080,1566663914][/doublepost]
people should know that most most daily tasks can be easily done on a linux system, out of the box, completely free and nowadays without a lot of knowledge of computers
True if you replace "linux" in the above with GNU/Linux. Linux itself is just the kernel -- daily tasks cannot be done with it, not out of the box, not without a lot of knowledge of computers!
If they aren't "into" computers, I think part of that problem is most people will use Windows at work, and thus will prefer it at home, as it's familiar. The fact Linux can look and operates very similar is irrelevant, they won't get past that "it's different" hump.
Hmm... but Microsoft Windows itself (and Microsoft products in general) are "different" too, every time they bring out a new version. They can't resist making features harder to access by moving them into obscure and illogical corners of the menu system. (Oh, no... wait... they removed the menus altogether didn't they? Now you have to access features through imaginary menus that exist only in the user's mind -- `Alt-f a' for Save As... etc.)
My Windows does not give relevant data to MS, it does not even update until I want it to update
Without having the source code and building it yourself, you can't practically know what it's doing. It could be spending its time silently packaging up your data and waiting for you to run an update to take the opportunity to send it home.

If you can use Linux, you should be skilled enough to setup Windows for propper privacy. ;) My Windows does not give relevant data to MS, it does not even update until I want it to update. It's a little bit of work but it is no obstacle. And again, it just runs my games without any issues.
But assuming you have it connected to the internet, you might also want to patch zero day bugs as they're patched. I can generally trust Arch Linux not to add spyware when I update it, but I'm not sure I could trust Microsoft that far.

Reactions: ___
Proton helps a lot (although it may have detrimental effects on developer motivations to specifically support Linux), and perhaps even Google Stadia may do so as I believe it is also Linux based.
I've only tried it on one game - Into the breach - and it just gave me a black screen.

Hmm... but Microsoft Windows itself (and Microsoft products in general) are "different" too, every time they bring out a new version.
Totally agree. In the home environment though, there's not always that need to upgrade though, but i certainly hear all the complaints when the "upgrades" happen in the office. They eventually get used to them, and they probably would with Linux. The difference being, at work upgrades are mandatory.
Like i said, this is based on my experience with friends, family and co-workers.

Is Gamescom mainly an international trade show or mainly a German trade show? That is, are the vast majority of the attendees from Germany, or do a lot of the attendees come from abroad? How well can a foreigner who speaks only English "survive" there?
People come from everywhere in the world, but I didn't ask anyone where they are from. I barely speak German (I do know some, so I manage) and I'm fine.

Depending on which booth you visit they speak a different language, usually they feature German though (Game language or a QWERTZ keyboard).
If you speak English you should be fine, most people will have it as a fall-back language other then their native language.

Not sure about the rest, like hotels and shops. Hotels are probably used to English speakers. And German shops still like cash money, not always cards so have some Euro's with you.

@TeDaDeS
Smach Z impressions?
I haven't seen them actually (there is a lot going on and I was there for only one day).
Have seen them in 2017 I think, the device was quite big (felt like a Game Gear while being used to a gameboy).
Remember they were very friendly people. Usually people are friendly though, but I mean engaging like the Indie developer who's life project your playing.
The newer units should be more refined but haven't seen them and tried it out.

Noticed I do miss a lot during my visits. Not sure if it's me or they also just 'hide' stuff or it's displayed on these invite only areas.
Like the Nintendo Switch-mini, there appears to be a small cabinet showing them but I didn't spot it.
Usually after my visit I check online to see what I missed, and I'm like "Where the hell was that supposed to be?".

Some video I found:
Stand E028 Hall 10.1, Pyra was in retro section at 10.2.

Last edited:
I've successfully returned from this place.
I have a lot of photos to go through, but I'll dump at least the booth related stuff tomorrow.

It was fun, as usual.

I haven't seen them actually (there is a lot going on and I was there for only one day).
Have seen them in 2017 I think, the device was quite big (felt like a Game Gear while being used to a gameboy).
Remember they were very friendly people. Usually people are friendly though, but I mean engaging like the Indie developer who's life project your playing.
The newer units should be more refined but haven't seen them and tried it out.

Noticed I do miss a lot during my visits. Not sure if it's me or they also just 'hide' stuff or it's displayed on these invite only areas.
Like the Nintendo Switch-mini, there appears to be a small cabinet showing them but I didn't spot it.
Usually after my visit I check online to see what I missed, and I'm like "Where the hell was that supposed to be?".

Some video I found:
Stand E028 Hall 10.1, Pyra was in retro section at 10.2.

Thanks mate :)
Also, I suggest you do heaps and heaps of research before attending these events, so you don't miss out on anything :)

Woah, whose Pandora is that with the Pyra logo on the lid?
I specifically asked and there were none (yet). Maybe it's one of the new assembled units.

Thanks mate :)
Also, I suggest you do heaps and heaps of research before attending these events, so you don't miss out on anything :)
I usually go for the Pyra(-team) so rest is bonus. But I'll prepare better next year ;)

Last edited:
Back