Gamescom 2016

ED , if the PGS thing ever sees the light of day , will you also sell it?

I noticed they mentioned they are targeting(but could change) the 28th for their Kickstarter campaign. A couple hours ago they said it was within days, so it seems they are still targeting the 28th . I'll give it to the end of the month

If the PGS is real and at that price I may get one. But that's a big if. (I can't find my picture of an "IF" next to the earth for scale I took from ashens renegade 3 video)

If the Pyra did not exist, I would probably be on the pre-order for the GPD Win. All the while I would be wishing for more/better expansion and connectivity options and Linux compatibility. The two products have much in common, but they also have a lot of distinguishing features - some of which may become less so through time.

I prefer the Pyra for (in no particular order): Linux Debian, lots of ports, full sized SD slots, mobile connectivity, pocketability, superior keyboard layout, superior analog input (nubs vs sticks), resistive touch & stylus.

I like the Win conceptually for it's X86 Cherry Trail processor and may some day buy one for that fact IF someone gets Debian installing and running smoothly on it. If it's restricted to Windows then I simply don't have a use for it. Beyond that I don't see anything that it has over the Pyra.

Pyra costs more but does more, so I see expense as a wash between the two.

I know that conceptually it's a community anthema, but my hypothetical ideal device is still a Pyra in every way but one - I'd still rather have the X86 SoC. I know there have been a lot of us asking/longing/wishing for a subsequent X86 SoC board to be released at some post-production-success point in the mid to far future. I also understand that it, "isn't that simple," but knowing that doesn't make it less appealing. All else the same, rational or not, I would perceive an X86 Pyra as, "better," than an ARM Pyra, even though I don't do Windows.

My order is in and I'm looking forward to getting a Pyra. So far I'm just not really seeing much use for a Win in it's current form.

ED should sell both - they're different audiences. Yes there is some overap, but there is overlap with phone users, handheld console users, laptop users, etc. As the convergence device, overlap to other devices and needs should be expected.

The Pyra won't replace my phone but the physically impossible PGS (with the claimed specs) would. It's smaller than my phone with a bigger screen, faster CPU/GPU and a bigger battery.

One on (perhaps slightly shortsighted) view, do we really want people who want a Win in this community? ;)

The GPD Win is a Windows handheld. It don't think it will really create a community or many buyers would join one. It's a device you buy and try to run your stuff on, nothing more.
[doublepost=1467066894,1467066849][/doublepost]
ED , if the PGS thing ever sees the light of day , will you also sell it?

Well... yeah... if... but right now, I don't believe in that if :)

Found the Big IF!

Attachments

• Big IF.png
    Big IF.png
    161.7 KB · Views: 328
Looking at possibility to Gamescom. I noticed it's a 2h40 drive from Amsterdam, not too bad :)
I hope to get thursday off of work, otherwise it'll probably be sunday as friday and saturday are sold out :-/

I have preordered both the GDP Win and the Pyra. Yes, there is overlap in the target audience, but I think there is room for each in the market and in ED's storefront.

(I am operating under the theory that I will be able to get Linux working just fine on the GDP Win as I don't do Windows)

(I am operating under the theory that I will be able to get Linux working just fine on the GDP Win as I don't do Windows)
well from experience from other Atom devices it could be more difficult than you expect. I expect it to happen eventually, just not directly out of the box.

well from experience from other Atom devices it could be more difficult than you expect. I expect it to happen eventually, just not directly out of the box.
They have stated that Linux should work okay on it in the comments for the Indiegogo campaign. I have also never ran into any Linux related issues with anything Atom I have access to, but as always, your mileage may vary

As far as I remember, GPD never said they will get Linux to work on the GPD Win, they just mentioned they won't lock it down so it should be possible to install it.
Still needs a proper port, all drivers, etc., so it'll not be as trivial as on a normal PC.

I doubt GPD will support Linux themselves. That may come from the community - drivers etc.

As ED said, the only thing Iv'e heard GPD say, is that they won't lock it down so that you can load Linux yourself. I know that GPD actually have gotten Ubuntu running on it. But I think getting it to run (minus drivers I'd imagine) is were it ended. They probably did it just to check it out, that's the impression I got anyway.

Intel drivers shouldn't be a problem (GPU, wifi). The questions will be input buttons/keyboard, touchscreen, and screen.

According to various phoronix discussions (with links to kernel issues), intel drivers may very well be a problem even on recent kernels.

Back