Game identification and help running it.

andyB911

Website
Visit site
I'm ashamed that I'm about to ask two numpty questions for the price of one, but here goes....

Firstly, on the openpandora.org web-page landing screen, there is now a nifty demo running in the screen of the pandora.  And very nice it looks too.  :)

First game is obviously Outrun, but whats the second?   Is it one of the early Need for Speed games or am I way off?

And secondly, assuming it is a PC Need for Speed, i assume thats running in DosBox.  I remember on the gp2x that it took rather more fiddling and config than I had the patience for, and I never got it running well.  I see there are 2 versions in the repo - which would people recommend I start with, and is there a dummy's guide to getting it running?  And whilst I wouldn't want anyone to be afraid to tell me to RTFM, any genuine hints would be much appreciated.

Andy

Video isn't showing for me right now (Pandora & FF18) but -

I doubt a 3D PC game like need for speed would run well under DosBox, that class of game might be pushing it a bit. I could be wrong, somebody who can see the video needs to chime in!

If it's a car racing game, the chances are high it'll be a Playstation one running under PcsxReARMed, all the Need For Speed titles run perfectly under that (as do the majority of it's car games).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the game at 4:30 in Ian J's video above is Need For Speed 3 on Playstation. Probably the nicest looking of the Playstation NFS series, and it works really well under Pcsx.

Need For Speed 1 is a much more retro looking affair with really stiff controls (but valued for being identical to the legendary 3DO version).

Need For Speed 2 is a bit choppy (huge changes in framerate at times when lots of vehicles on screen) even on a genuine playstation. Some very silly tracks too. Muddled.

After NFS3 it was just new cars and tracks until the PS2 came along.

YupYup... as said before its "NFS 3 - Hot Pursuit"

There is also "NFS 4 - High Stakes" available on the PSone/PSX

Both of them were really good looking back to those days ^^

NFS 3 smoked my 3dfx Voodoo 2 Graphic card =P I had within my Pentium 2... what an experience ^^

*lol... old memorys are coming back*

dscf0334z.jpg

EDIT : NFS 1 and 2 should run just fine under "Qemu for Pandora" and Freedos1.0

Ahh...  'Hot Pursuit' that rings bells.  Think I've still got the dos disks somewhere ;)   Never tried it on the PSX but thats next on my list.

Thanks everyone for the quick and helpful feedback!!

I think I may also try to getting Dosbox running as its an itch that needs scratching.

Well PCSXRearmed runs at double resolution now, those NFS games may look almost on par as the PC versions back in the day..

Ahh... 'Hot Pursuit' that rings bells. Think I've still got the dos disks somewhere ;) Never tried it on the PSX but thats next on my list.
I'm pretty sure none of the NFS games came on anything but CD (even the first one was padded out with videos of the real cars featured) - definitely worth checking out the Playstation versions instead, much easier to get going and fullspeed is guaranteed!

Another race game very very fun on PSX is Nascar rumble , on my CC Pandora run very well.

Just tried NFS 3 & 4 on PSX emulator & both ran fine as long as double size rendering was disabled.

With it turned on they both looked very blurred & ran very slowly.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hum... are you using the 1 Ghz or the 600 Mhz Version of the Pandora ?

I just gave both a try with NFS 3 - Hot Pursuit :

- 1000 Mhz just ran perfect on the 1 Ghz Model

- 850-900 Mhz ran almost perfect on the 600 Mhz Model

(with doubled resolution of course, didnt notice any blur effects,

enabling doubled resolution usually ends up in a very sharp result)

600mhz tried up to 900mhz

Road Rash looks super crisp with double resolution enabled and runs silky smooth, but if I leave the settings as is and boot either NFS the games look soft focused until I disable double resolution rendering.

Not an issue but just thought I'd highlight it.

Back