Fzx32 Released

pak21 posted on Dec 28 2004 at 04:50 PM said:
Personally, I'm not happy about this. Why not? fZX32, as it admits in the readme, is based on code licensed under the GNU GPL from various places, including my Spectrum emulator, Fuse. Yet it's released without source, in violation of the GPL. Sorry, but "soon" isn't good enough - I've seen that enough times and never seen the source.

Hence I'd request that people don't download this until the source is released.

Thanks.

Yeah i'm sure myself and many other people wont download this until the source is released, 'ok' !!

What a joke. Its ok for you to download game roms or mp3's without the artists or programmers permission (just like we all do) but you go apeshit when someone 'might' be using part of an emulator you might have done. Hypocrite !

So much for it being Xmas and the season of goodwill. Ryleh offers his emulator for free and does a ton of work for the GP32 community and youre whinging because of some pedantic thing ? Pathetic

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i'm sure myself and many other people wont download this until the source is released, 'ok' !!

Good. It's nice to see you don't condone copyright theft.

What a joke. Its ok for you to download game roms or mp3's without the artists or programmers permission (just like we all do) but you go apeshit when someone 'might' be using part of an emulator you might have done. Hypocrite !

Actually, I have no MP3s (or other forms of digital audio) for which I do not have either the copyright holder's permission or the original on CD. Unless you actually know me and my views on IP issues, please don't call me a hypocrite.

Game roms are, IMO, a very different case. I (de facto) can't obtain them, even if I wanted to. On the other hand, there's absolutely nothing stopping the source to fZX32 being released right now.

And there's no 'might' about it: fZX32 does use code from Fuse.

So much for it being Xmas and the season of goodwill. Ryleh offers his emulator for free and does a ton of work for the GP32 community and youre whinging because of some pedantic thing ?

Ah, I see your point now: theft's OK because it's Christmas.

Finally, the lack of source isn't "some pedantic thing". I've put many hours of work into Fuse over the past 5 and a half years, without seeing a single penny in return. I'm happy to do that because I know that my work is freely available for other people to use. If that weren't the case, I'd want some other form of compensation for my time. At the moment, I've got neither. How is that in any way fair?

copyright theft?
you insane?
did you ever read anything about gnu and copyleft?
and it doesn't seem that you got the sarcasm of
"Yeah i'm sure myself and many other people wont download this until the source is released, 'ok' !!"

if rlyeh really was not to release the source, demanding it wouldn't do a shit

sheesh

Back from holidays...
Sorry for the delay

I don't want to piss off anyone but it's right I have to release the sources.

Quoting myself @ www.retrodev.info:

Sigh!

Well, I'm just back from holidays and it seems things are not going ok since 25th December.

First of all the server migration went someway wrong and missed some news (new fZX32 readme, new fMAME32 screenshots, me announcing my holidays, etc). Now server is fixed but the news are gone completely (no backups :)

Second thing is that some people is claiming the fZX32 sources, as releasing the binary without sources violates the GPL license. Right, my fault. I just wanted to clean the sources, and release them as HPL modified but it seems is mandatory to do it at the same moment you release the binaries. I'm sorry.

As result, I will release the sources in a few hours (gonna travel some few hundred kilometers to grab my GP32 and bring back the dirty sources). Hope that fixes everything else, to those implied persons, specially Philip Kendall who detailed me the GPL license at that point.

The fZX32 HPL sources (sources using the Hypercompatible llibrary) will have to wait since the HPL library itself is not finished at this moment.

Take care.

Greetings...

Well thanks much for the great work, Rlyeh. I guess some people will always whine about something. Most of us are just thankful that you do such good work. Thanks again,

Cheers :)

copyright theft?
you insane?
did you ever read anything about gnu and copyleft?

Yes; clearly a lot more than you.

I owe the copyright to (most of) Fuse; releasing it under the GNU GPL does not mean I give that away in any shape or form.

The GNU GPL is a (non-exclusive, irrevocable) license I have given you (and anyone else) which lets you take certain actions with respect to my code. Put simply, those actions are to do anything you like with the code, so long as you release the source under the GNU GPL. If you take actions which you are not permitted under the GNU GPL, then that is still a copyright violation. (Also, you also lose the rights you were given by the GPL).

if rlyeh really was not to release the source, demanding it wouldn't do a shit

That depends who the requests are made to; ISPs will take action if informed of copyright violations. Thankfully, it doesn't look like that will be necessary :)

Well you seem like a very rare person on the internet, no mp3's, no roms whatsoever. I find that hard to believe, how on earth do you test the emulator you've been working on ? Dont tell me , 'legal roms' ?? 'Yeah ok'

You'll be telling me next you never speed either, sound like a perfect person.

If youve been working on Fuse for so long what do you test with it ? I'm sure you must have tested some speccy roms with it. How do you know the programmer doesnt want any money for you using his games to test your emulator ?

When I released the DC version of Speccyal K, I gently released the sources because it contained some fuse source or simply ideas.
I expect rlyeh to do the same as soon as he can. Impatient to see if it does not contain any speccyal k source fragment ;)
rlyeh released a new speccy emu, oh my god, speccyal k is dead... Should I stop any dev on my emu ? Think so.

_tyrell_

Hello _tyrell_

long time no see :) where have you been in ? havent seen you at #gp32dev for a while
hope you're ok
please dont stop your speccyal port since its good to have alternatives
i could help you at anything if needed, just drop me a line.
i'm always glad to help you know... :)

ps: the sources were already uploaded to my site, sorry for the dirtyness :)

take care

Hi Tyrell

I hope you don't give up on Speccyal'K too, as both emulators have their strengths (mappable buttons, fullscreen and better manic miner speed are among Speccyal K's strengths).

It would be good if you could get it to run zipped images from the GPMM\ZX folder though, so that users would only need one folder of Spectrum images.

I take good note WhizzBang, you my faithful fan ;)

Rlyeh: No, I'm in good shape. I'm just busy playing with my modded Xbox and all those wonderful emulators. Hmmm let's see this xdk ... oops OpenSDK ;)

_tyrell_

Back