Fucking Grub Boot Loader For Linux

since this is a similar question, I'll ask here:

One time I partitioned and formatted my hard drive using windows 2000 setup, and it thought that I was still using the previous 2 OS's (2000 and XP trial) Now whenever I start it, it asks if I want to boot to Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Professional, or Windows 2000 professional, even though the latter 2 aren't there. Is there any way to get rid of this? fdisk /mbr only took care of GRUB.

spongebue posted on Sep 29 2004 at 01:51 AM said:
since this is a similar question, I'll ask here:

One time I partitioned and formatted my hard drive using windows 2000 setup, and it thought that I was still using the previous 2 OS's (2000 and XP trial)  Now whenever I start it, it asks if I want to boot to Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Professional, or Windows 2000 professional, even though the latter 2 aren't there.  Is there any way to get rid of this?  fdisk /mbr only took care of GRUB.

Yeah: Edit the (hidden) boot.ini file in the root directory (usually c:) and remove the entries for the previous OSes.
You can do that with the windows editor (it's an ASCII file)

If you don't like the editor:
You can also do that using msconfig (Start > RUN > msconfig)

Last edited:
rcx21000 posted on Sep 28 2004 at 03:59 PM said:
Easiest way is to leave XP and LILO/GRUB on different hard drives, then switch them in BIOS. You could even use a small HD (I think) for LILO/GRUB, and have it boot off a GNU/Linux partion on your big HD... I could never get GRUB to work at all, or LILO to boot Windows.
WIndows doesn't like to be booted from the second hard drive. To fix this, find the bit in grub.conf that says something like this:

title=WIndows XP
rootnoverify (hd1,0) # assumes second hard drive, first partition
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader (hd1,0)+1

This makes WIndows think it's the first drive, so it should boot. I have no experience with it, but search google for 'windows second hard drive' or something and you should get similar help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rico posted on Sep 29 2004 at 03:13 AM said:
rcx21000 posted on Sep 28 2004 at 03:59 PM said:
Easiest way is to leave XP and LILO/GRUB on different hard drives, then switch them in BIOS. You could even use a small HD (I think) for LILO/GRUB, and have it boot off a GNU/Linux partion on your big HD... I could never get GRUB to work at all, or LILO to boot Windows.
WIndows doesn't like to be booted from the second hard drive. To fix this, find the bit in grub.conf that says something like this:

title=WIndows XP
rootnoverify (hd1,0) # assumes second hard drive, first partition
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader (hd1,0)+1

This makes WIndows think it's the first drive, so it should boot. I have no experience with it, but search google for 'windows second hard drive' or something and you should get similar help.

Works absolutely fine. I had windows booting from my D: drive (Secondary Master IDE) for quite a while cos I wanted to reinstall without losing my previous install.

Last edited by a moderator:
as planned i installed xp for the 2nd time so now i have

XP,ME,XP

As one XP is fulle of viruses and as i assumed that also nuked grub. :p :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Back