Frozen Screen

rasteely

Still Fresh
I recently bought a WIZ gp2x from this site

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/bfc7/

It worked fine for about two weeks. I had already downloaded the snes emulator and gbc emulator and they worked great. A lot of the built in games were really fun to (SQ DEF being my favorite!). One morning when I turned it on it wouldn't go past the start-up screen. So I restarted it and again it wouldn't go past the start-up screen. It was frozen on the start-up screen. I gave it some more time and it still wouldn't move past the start-up screen when I turned it on. Did anybody else have this problem? I hope it's something simple I can fix. Should I just send it back and get my money back? Or exchange it for a new one? Or is there something I'm missing? Help! Please and thank you:)

-Rachel

mindlord said:
It sounds like the firmware has become corrupted somehow. I would first try flashing the firmware.

Sorry this is going to sound dumb but, how do you flash the firmware? I don't understand that:/ I don't know many computer terms or anything like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flashing the firmware means updating the built-in software. Somewhat like reinstalling Windows on your PC.

There are instructions here. Under the heading "How to upgrade firmware" Also the same page to download the latest official firmware.
1. Decompress the downloaded file and make it copy to upper root folder of SD card. (6 Files – polluxb, uImage, uImageUP, update.gz, vfat.img, wiz_ubifs.img)

*Decompressed size is about 800MB, therefore SD card should have extra 1 GB size memory.

2. Insert SD card and switch on with R button pressed and then the firmware is being updated.

3. If firmware upgrade screen appears then release R button

4. It takes about 15 minutes to upgrade.

5. If firmware has been properly updated then reboot it. Set value of touch panel is initialized by the update therefore revise the setting value of touch panel in environment setting.

6. If you see following message, try it again by switching off and on. If you have still same problem then try it again by replacing SD card.

7. If all completed, delete those files copied to SD memory.

※ If battery discharges during upgrading firmware, it may cause damage to product. Therefore battery must be fully charged or secure stable electric power using USB cable before start to upgrade firmware.

※ Some pictures on the screen may be broken during patching firmware.
It will output normally after completion of patching.

Just a quick question before you make an attempt at flashing your firmware.

Have you checked to make sure it`s not a battery problem ?, Have you tried charging
the battery ?, As you haven`t had it long, And don`t mention in your original post
whether this is one of the things you have tried.

Trooper

The exact same thing happened to me. I turned it off, and next day it wouldnt get past the first screen. Reflashing the firmware will fix it. I needed an SD card size 1 or 2 GB, but i understand many have reflashed with larger cards.

Good luck, and make sure you have batteries charged before you start.

Same problem here, one week after a firmware upgrade to the newest version. Just reupgraded and everything is working again.

Same problem here, one week after a firmware upgrade to the newest version. Just reupgraded (as described in mindlord's post)and everything is working again.

Back