Frodo + Turrican I / II

r0lf

Hello All,

I only got my gp32 a week or so ago, and I gotta say... IT ROCKS. At first I was a little weary because of the lack of new releases, but pretty much since it arrived there has been a flood of new stuff and traffic on the fan sites.

Anyways, whilst I still have a ton of games get through.... My all time fav, Turrican, just won't play ball. I have tried two versions from the net, both seem to die after the trainer screen. The Turrican II version I found won't start the game from the title screen...

Has any one got either of these working? if so, how and where did you get the image..

I realise I could play the PC Engine version of T1, but it aint the same.. and given that I'm not a teenager anymore I *really* need a trainer....

I got Turrican II almost working under Frodo. Basically you have to turn on 1541 drive emulation as it makes use of it's own fastloaders which don't work with the standard Frodo one's. This in turn means that it goes as slow as a real C64 disk drive when loading. Turrican II got to the title screen where it plays music and tells the story of Turrican, I waited and waited, I could see it still loading as the little (8) was flashing away. In the end I got so bored that I turned the power off :) If you are willing to wait it may well load up. I have found this with a few of the more technically advanced games under Frodo. This was under FrodoGp32 standard and not the FrodoPC version.

Hi, If you looking for a great version of turrican 1, download the pc engine version its the excact same as the amiga version, but better :D .

r0lf,

I got a little further than you, but not much. I got to the main menu of Turrican, but couldn't get it to accept "fire" (from either joystick port) to start the game ... I'll keep messing around with it.

turrican-1.jpg

turrican-2.jpg

Flack

Edit: Also, as stated in another thread, if you turn on 1541 emulation, be prepared to wait (this comes as no surprise to those of us that had C64's in the past. It maybe take minutes (more than a few) for games to load and execute.

Hm... so this 1541 emulation actually works?
I always thought the system hangs when I tried it... (and believe me, I KNOW the loading times of the C64...)
Is it slower than the original 1541?

BTW: Anyone got Alter Ego to run?
It always says I should insert disk 1 Side A and press fire, but it doesn't recognize the disk...

EvilDragon posted on Apr 25 2003 said:
Hm... so this 1541 emulation actually works?
I always thought the system hangs when I tried it... (and believe me, I KNOW the loading times of the C64...)
Is it slower than the original 1541?
for other stuff, it seems about the same speedwise....

....but with an emu you can't put your ear against the case of the drive to listen for the read/write head to see if it's still doing something....

...or was that just me.

Cheers for the replies. :)

FWIW, I get the same intermittent flame / lance gun in the GPengine version of Turrican, and I haven't been able to get alto-ego to work either..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back