Friday night lights

K

Kelsey's grammar

Hey yo!  My pandora screen has started flickering recently.  Sometimes a light tap will get it straight.  Is my screen going out soon or is something loose on the inside?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Sounds like a failing LCD cable.

When did you get your pandora?

Has it been droped (or similar) recently?

What happens if you adjust the angle your screen is open at?

Maybe around Christmas or the first of the year.  I don't remember dropping it, but it could have happened.  Memory ain't what it used to be.  It really doesn't do anything when I angle the screen.  :unsure:

Is there any way to use tv out without going to settings?  The screen went out.  :-(

If you have access to a Linux desktop and an SD card reader, you can install the firmware to an SD card and create an autoboot.txt file on it. When you boot with such an SD card inserted in the left slot it will act as if it were an entirely new install (which it is) and the TV out is turned on by default in clone mode, so you'll be able to see the screen on your TV, at which point you can proceed through the first boot steps and instruct it to leave the TV out on. Not sure what use this will be, maybe you've got something on your NAND that you need to get? Or are perfectly happy just playing on your TV, to each their own, but your best bet is as suggested, contact EvilDragon and he'll set you up with a new cable: either shipped to you and you replace it yourself or you can ship the Pandora and he'll do it for you. The latter costs a bit more for shipping and takes longer, obviously, but you know it'll be done right at least.

LCD cable failing used to be a major problem, near 20% if I recall correctly. Changes were made to bring it down to the more acceptable standard, but nothing is perfect: even 1 or 2% is still around 50 people. You just got unlucky.

There used to be instructions how to flash the firmware to an SD card on the Wiki but I can't find them now. Maybe someone else has a direct link.

It was a panic episode.  Like..."Holy guacamole!  My Pandy is half dead!"  Then I thought I could use it half dead.  Not really rational thinking.  Thanks for the response!!

That's a good point. If it just suddenly went out it could just be the cable came out. Maybe open it up to take a look. Usually it descends through weird colours and failure at certain angles over several weeks or even months before dying completely.

No dice.  It's gone.  I got in touch with Link though.  I hope he can help.  I think I voided whatever warranty it may have had, but I will gladly pay! 

Has anyone ever modded the pandora with a different screen?  I know this is off topic.  (please don't ban meh)  The viewing angles on my archos are ridiculous.  That plus pandora=winnage!

Hmm, just checked out my own Pandora for viewing angles, and it's also pretty damn good.  Greys fall to either black or white at extremes (either vertical or horizontal), but otherwise contrast is pretty consistent.  Slight softness at extremes too, but that's probably due to the screen protector I added.  I thought the Pandora had a plain old TN-matrix display, but those results are in excess of any TN-based PC monitor I've tested.

Back