Freeciv

sh191976

Still Fresh
Being a big fan of the civilization series mainly for amiga and PC, i have enjoyed playing civ on opensnes, however, does anybody with programming experience think that Freeciv could be ported to the GP32?

www.freeciv.org

Cheers

I love FreeCiv. It's cost me more of a GPA than anything else, and that includes nethack (which I would also love to see a port of, maybe that's what I'll do).

It's definitely possible performance-wise, and the GP32 could definitely handle it, though from my experience with the app it's pretty heavy on reliance with different windowing toolkits (GTK+ and XLib versions are available).

Maybe the windowing stuff is all object-oriented and can easily be swapped; I haven't taken a whack at the source code.

A Freeciv clone would be easily within the realm of possibility, and perhaps even a port if someone is bored enough to write replacements for all the UI code.

You'd have to rescale all the graphics as well, but that is easily done. As you say, support for windowing libs would be troublesome. Till then i'll just play ST/SNES CIV

Back