For Anyone Who Can't Get Quake To Run

Bugblatter

Still Fresh
Which included me until today. I had got pak0.pak as a download after searching on Google. Screen just went black and I had to reset the GP2X.

However, I searched though my old disks and found the original Quake, installed it on my PC then copied pak0.pak and pak1.pak onto the GP2X. Worked a treat!!!

And this is why there is a readme file... could have the answer in 3 minutes that way. ;)

Installation
------------

Put the quake folder somewhere on your sd. Pak files go into the id1 folder as normal (you'll need to get pak0.pak from the Quake shareware download, or get pak0.pak and pak1.pak from your original cd),

Last edited by a moderator:
And this is why there is a readme file... could have the answer in 3 minutes that way. ;)

Installation
------------

Put the quake folder somewhere on your sd. Pak files go into the id1 folder as normal (you'll need to get pak0.pak from the Quake shareware download, or get pak0.pak and pak1.pak from your original cd),

I think you've misunderstood. The readme didn't quite say "Don't use a downloaded version of pak0.pak", besides which many of us won't have the original disk anymore.

Installation
------------

I think you've misunderstood. The readme didn't quite say "Don't use a downloaded version of pak0.pak", besides which many of us won't have the original disk anymore.

Nope I thought it was quite clear when I downloaded it. It says you'll need to get pak0.pak from the Quake shareware download which I did and it worked fine. I eventually got my hands on an old set of Quake discs(my son's older laptop runs Quake well so I bought that and Half-Life Anthology) and then I was able to do the get pak0.pak and pak1.pak from your original cd which also worked.

No one is going to tell you to NOT "download just the pakxxx files" in any way because that would fall under the same thing as telling you to/not to download roms(making people think "Hey I can just download it if they're telling me not to..."). Most writers here make their docs this way - and most of us already know where to get files if we want them - but they'll never TELL us one way or another.

Downloaded versions work fine. Chances are you got yours from somewhere like the pocketquake site, which is actually gzipped but people often don't notice, or you just had a bad download.

Downloaded versions work fine. Chances are you got yours from somewhere like the pocketquake site, which is actually gzipped but people often don't notice, or you just had a bad download.

That makes more sense. The pak0.pak file I downloaded from Pocketmatrix.com was about half the size of the extracted file from the Quake disc. Anyway, given that a number of people have reported the same symptoms as I had*, it is an error which I am sure someone else could make which is why I felt it worthwhile sharing.

*See comments in the file archive: http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,20,855

People do make mistakes and it is a shame there is always someone to pop out of the woodwork and make sarcastic comments. :rolleyes:

People do make mistakes and it is a shame there is always someone to pop out of the woodwork and make sarcastic comments. :rolleyes:

After I showed the readme - which MANY, MANY people ignore and usually just ask "WTF M4K3 IT WURK PLZ LOL!!!11!!1!1ONE!" hence the canned answer - and you clarified your statement I got what you were shooting for and just explained why authors wouldn't be able tell you to just "download xxxx file" or "do not download xxxx file". I don't remember getting snippy in any way(hence the smily faces).

One person's sarcasm is another's common sense I guess. ;)

Back