FLU worth the extra cash?

paulh

Still Fresh
Thinking of investing in a GP32...

Considering the extra cost (£30-40) of the Front Lit version, and the fact that both GBAX and Play-Asia are both out of stock of FLUs, is it worth the extra cash and extra wait for stock availability?

Or is the GP32 screen perfectly useable without the FLU?...

Owning the regular (non-FLU) version I only have problems when the room is badly lit or when it's dark ;-). In all other conditions the screen works fine. Much better than the standard GamBoy Advance. I don't miss the FLU.

paulh posted on Apr 28 2003 said:
Thinking of investing in a GP32...

Considering the extra cost (£30-40) of the Front Lit version, and the fact that both GBAX and Play-Asia are both out of stock of FLUs, is it worth the extra cash and extra wait for stock availability?

Or is the GP32 screen perfectly useable without the FLU?...
I think you can order one on www.entware.com or
www.shibuyagames.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I compared my GBA to the GP32 lately, and I think that the statement "much better than the GBA screen" may
be decieving. No question about it, the GP32 screen is in fact much clearer and sharper, and less reflective than
the GBA screen.

But I think you need nearly as much light in your room than with the GBA.

I have a bedside lamp which spreads indirect light, and it's enough to read a book, but it was never
sufficient to play with my GBA. I thought that it would be better with the GP32, since everybody said that
the GP32 screen is much brighter. But under these conditions I found it practically the same. I don't see
much more on the screen than with the GBA. There are other conditions in which the GP32 screen shows
his superiority though. But still, I have to get another bedside lamp. ;)

So if I could order again, I would spend the extra money for a FLU unit. If you can afford it, I would give you
the same advice.

tapsel you are right when it comes to playing in low indirect light. I guess that what matters most when chosing the FLU of non-FLU version is where and when you are going to use your GP32. I use it mostly when commuting by train or at home on the couch. No need for a FLU in these conditions. But if you want to use it for example in bed or in the car I think a FLU would be very welcome.

Yeah, you're right VirtuaLeech. It's mainly a problem with indirect, artificial light.

But there are just so many situations where you don't even realize that the light
is so bad. If you are on a road trip, and another guy in the car is still reading
comic books, but you can't use your GP32 anymore, it's just annoying. ;)

So if you can afford the extra bucks for a FLU unit, the money is most probably
not wasted.

Having seen the FLU video footage on play-asia, and compared it to the footage posted by Flack in this forum, I'm starting to think that maybe the FLU is worth the extra beer money... hmmm

If you've got the cash, go for it! If you haven't then get a non-FLU model and update it when the DIY FLU kit comes along....

I find that I can play on my GP32 in most situations (I played on it last night whilst sitting in a dark Indian resteraunt waiting for a take-away curry!) :D

i got FLU version in the mail a week ago.
all i have to say, it is terrible most of the time when i try playing with the light off!!
VERY MUCH worth the extra pittance.. you won't regret it!

(just invest in some rechargable batteries, ok?)

It is really worth it if, and a big if you get re-chargables. The battrey consumption is soooooo big that I thought SMS was terribly buggy+overclocked until I replaced the battries.

I get "free" batteries from my work so I play with my light on all the time. Can't really see playing otherwise actually...

Back