Flu worth it?

Dozer

Efram the retarded rabbit
Website
lawrencewithaw.tumblr.com
Just wondering whether people think that the FLU version of the gp32 is worth the extra cash? If i get a normal gp32 can i have it upgraded later? Or are there any descent worm light kind of things (not adapted gba ones, proper gp32 ones).

I got the FLU and it's great! It's well-lighted and it's easy to use. It's great indoors, but the original screen is also very good, better then the GBA. I've heard rumours about a do-it-yourself - kit, but I don't know anything for sure. Anyone else may fill in here. ;)

Definitely worth it IMO. See my review for more info about the FLU (link is in my sig below).

Also, no there's no GP32 specific wormlight. There are a few guys who did manage to hack one together tho. And unfortunately, so far no FLU DIY kits have been released. The FLU GP32 is the best thing right now.

As a comparison, try using an old GBA and a GBA SP next to each other in different lighting conditions. That's basically the same difference between the FLU and non-FLU GP32 as far as light goes. And it's a big difference.

Yes and no.

It's not very good quality in my opinion. Very poorly fitted. The screen cover doesn't fit all the way in (not in mine anyway), so dust can get in (I've had to seal it myself) and the lens is quite far from the screen which makes the screen look a bit worse than it should. When the light is turned off visibility is worse than on a standard GP32 (in my opinion anyway), and ALOT worse than a Swan Crystal or NGPC. Basically I find it almost unusable (think GBA) with the light off.

With the light on it's pretty good.. If it wasn't for the dust it would be better than the GBA SP in my opinion. If they've sorted out their production and have started sealing them properly and stopped putting smudges and things on the INSIDE of the screen then it would be great. I don't think I'd buy another FLU system, it sucks paying a premium for something so shoddy.

I bought mine in June and I got no problem at all with dust or a not sealed screen. I think that Gamepark has improved their methods when they assemble the machines, since you bought yours (RobertG), or you just got a bad version. if you got the extra money, the FLU is worth it! :)

i have had my FLU unit for a couple of months - I received one from the first batch.
I never played with a non-FLU unit, so I can't imagine how it compares.
at any rate, I have never had any complaints about dust/poor installation.
meanwhile, i nearly always need to have the light on, it's too hard to see without it.
(mind you i've got the crappy reflective packing-plastic cover still protecting my screen, which makes visibility much poorer. I could remove it but then it could get scratched!)
on the other hand, the FLU does a perfect job (90 percent of the time) lighting the screen. I still need to crank up the gamma when available, but even in pitch darkness I can enjoy this thing.

Put it this way...... if i didnt have a flu unit i woulndt play my GP one quarter as much as i do. Light conditions are seldom good enough to play GBA's & GP's unlit unless your out in direct sunlight. So yes £100 for somthing i play briefly once or twice a week is pretty crap £150 for somthing i play all the time is well worth it. My GBA met an early retirement for this exact reason until some really great lights came out for it.

Ive played things with flu and its nice, but i also hear the gp32 one drains power alot faster. But I also heard it acts as like a battery indicator. So as your batteries gets low, your flu will go out so you know to save and replace the batteries.

I wish mine was a flu, but Im still very happy with what i have now...

In daylight, it doesn't make the screen any brighter it's not like laptops' screens which are backlit.

When it gets dark though, what seemed like a dim light suddenly lights up the room!

Get one if you can, but if you're only really using your GP32 in the day, it won't give you anything extra. Remember that GP32s are literally unusable in dull lighting.

Did you order a FLU GP32?
If you did, dont turn the light on for the first day. after that use it to your hearts content. You'll realise that extra money was well spent and wont know how u managed without it (even if it was for 1 day ;) )

RobertG posted on Jul 2 2003 said:
Yes and no.

It's not very good quality in my opinion. Very poorly fitted. The screen cover doesn't fit all the way in (not in mine anyway), so dust can get in (I've had to seal it myself) and the lens is quite far from the screen which makes the screen look a bit worse than it should. When the light is turned off visibility is worse than on a standard GP32 (in my opinion anyway), and ALOT worse than a Swan Crystal or NGPC. Basically I find it almost unusable (think GBA) with the light off.

With the light on it's pretty good.. If it wasn't for the dust it would be better than the GBA SP in my opinion. If they've sorted out their production and have started sealing them properly and stopped putting smudges and things on the INSIDE of the screen then it would be great. I don't think I'd buy another FLU system, it sucks paying a premium for something so shoddy.
I fully agree with this post. I had an FLU from the first batch, and within 2-3 weeks there was a ton of dust built up in it. I exchanged it in June for a new one, and the new unit turned out to be even worse. There was dust on the inside from the beginning and it built up even faster than in the first one. Fed up, I exchanged that unit for just a regular one, which has turned out to be really great. What people have been saying about the FLU unit's default contrast being darker than the regular units is definitely true, so turning the FLU light off as a comparison isn't really accurate. I think in normal lighting conditions a normal unit might actually look a little brighter and clearer than an FLU model with the light on. Some people obviously do get better FLU units but I think it's a bit of a crapshoot. If you're planning to use it in low light situations, I guess it would be worth it as long as you get one of the good ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back