Flights To And Travelling Around Asia

loz_the_guru

i cant think of a good custom member title. Sugges
Website
Visit site
i want to have somthing to look forward to in the summer to drag me through what looks to be an awful term at uni. I was wondering if anyone had any davice on how to get discounted flights to malaysia or thailand, or any advice/links to places on getting around when over there? I bought a couple of travel guides, but you cant beat the advice of others. cheap flights/student flights info would be much appreciated, as cost of living looks low but flights are killing me atm, im particularly interested in going to kuala lumpur ona nywhere in malaysia, as its nice and central.

Google *courier flights* and you get to anywhere in the world for bugger all. I did it back when I worked for BA, but anyone outside airlines can do it also (sometimes business class too :p ). If you don't mind touring with other Brits / Europeans then the "Imaginative Traveller" do some great tours around Asia and the rest of the world (I'm saving for Bhutan ^_^ )

Also sometimes when looking for flights it can be cheaper to get two single flights instead of a return, but get the flights on different carriers. E.g. BA coming out of the UK (the airline expect you to buy a flight with them coming back), and then get a flight back from Bangkok / HK with Cathay Pacific. <--- e.g. the originator of the flight. I did this one time going to NY with Virgin and coming back from Boston with American (one way back was 90 pound).

Also as far as I heard Cameron Highlands is worth a visit down where you're going :)

edit : As a metre stick round-the-world shouldnt cost you more than 1200 pounds, so try to get it for that as a maximum.

Travelling around Thailand is a doddle and cheap as anything.

As for Maylasia KL is no great shakes as a city but can be a good starting point, and Maylasia Airlines are one of the best I have flown with.

Singapore is a nice intro to Asia and a great springboard to Indonesia. You can get the train all the way to Bangkok from Singapore and the speak English so you don't have to hit the ground running.

East coast islands are nice in Thai. Northern Thai up to Laos is lovely and away from the madness of the party islands etc.

Cliched as it is you can't beat a good read through the Lonely Planet

Or check them out here

Check this side out, my girlfiend posts there and they are a helpfull bunch.

www.chatarea.com/backpackers

wow, thanks for all the replies everyone, im following them up one at a time. Thought id got some flights for 450pp, but theyre apparently sold out :(. Sta travel offer student discount which looks tasty, plus theres a branch just down the road so im dropping in to check it out today.

@lizard80uk: Checked out the courier flight thing but all the websites require paid registration, any links you have lying around would be handy :p

You might want to consider a round the world ticket, it can work out very cheap for what you get.

He's right you know!

Me and the missus did our honeymoon on the back of a Quantas/British airways round-the-world ticket. Did Bankok, Hong Kong, Sydney, Los Angeles and New York, then back to Heathrow. Cost use about £1100 each inc all taxes. Is well woth it. You can actually do up to 7 stop overs (thats not including Sydney!).

So...! Have a look and see if you can get the cash together to keep you in Hostels for the whole trip and you're laughing! Mind you, a 4-star hotel in Bankok only cost us £11 a night each!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back