Flashchip Upgrade

EdCa22 said:
I dont think this will work Im afraid. First, the soldering wont be fun. I've done a fair amount of surface mount soldering, with jumper wires, but this looks pretty nasty.
Wont be a problem since i have professional dude working with me and the length of the jump wires wont be too long
EdCa22 said:
The real problem is that the first chip is arranged in 8 bit words, while the new one is 16 bit. I suppose that it may be feasible to tie the extra 8 bits to ground, but you'll lose memory storage (it will half) and I'm not even certain that will work.
Yet again samsung s3c2400x01 docs come to resque .. the chip supports 16bit flash as well as 8bit so that wont be alot of problem .. only few more wires ;)

basically i'll be adding the few more address pins & data pins directly to cpu pins ..

more questions? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
more questions?

Why? What do you plan to add to the firmware?

An mp3 player plus a DivX player, making an Archos-alike with a full 128MB available for files?
When Mame is released, having all of Mame on the flash, leaving more ram free for roms?
Putting Linux and Apache on it, and having the world's smallest webserver? (As opposed to the world's least powerful webserver: http://c64.cc65.org/ :D )

Ummm...and that's about it as far as I can see :)

Back