Flash 10 Easy On The Arm?

Gilrad

I was just reading an article about arm-based netbooks, and a particular mention piqued my interest:
Freescale is working with Ubuntu to prep an ARM-Linux distro, which will hit in May, and Adobe will have an ARM happy version of Flash 10 sometime this year.

We benefit from this, right?

yeah
just to add further confirmation, i heard this awell

it seems adobe is stepping up to the mark, the ps3 and psp, will also be receiving more new flash player updates

i heard sony reverse engineered their code (i think, or something similar, is it legal?) and then ported it to the ps3, and thats why we got a newer flash player, they then said support would continue, and i think it wasnt sony updating but adobe themselves

Gilrad said:
I was just reading an article about arm-based netbooks, and a particular mention piqued my interest:
Freescale is working with Ubuntu to prep an ARM-Linux distro, which will hit in May, and Adobe will have an ARM happy version of Flash 10 sometime this year.

We benefit from this, right?

Not just the Pandora, but every Linux user. Flash is a rather problem child on Linux.

Last edited by a moderator:
emcp said:
it seems adobe is stepping up to the mark, the ps3 and psp, will also be receiving more new flash player updates

They've had too since Microsoft started pushing Sliverlight. Until that point there was no real competitor to Silverlight, but now it's in Adobes interest to get Flash out on EVERY device and O/S asap.

Benjiro said:
Not just the Pandora, but every Linux user. Flash is a rather problem child on Linux.
Well, works just fine on my x86 system. ;)

This is great news. I don't really like Flash, but it's a necessity when the websites cater to the "bling" crowd.

There are / will be other device coming with the omap 3 processor and I can expect some of them to come with flash support.

So official flash support on the pandora might no be so unlikely. Would be nice to have the option to use gnash too.

Interestingly the "pre", the new device that palm just introduced is running an Omap3 processor. It's running their new OS, "webOS" which uses the linux kernel.
There did not answer the question if it will have flash support but my guess is there are trying to get flash support from adobe and it's probably going to be available at some point.

javaJake said:
Benjiro said:
Well, works just fine on my x86 system. ;)

This is great news. I don't really like Flash, but it's a necessity when the websites cater to the "bling" crowd.
I don't like it when people use it to make websites normally, however, I am a big fan of Newgrounds and the thousands of flash videos and games the site holds.

marshal said:
There are / will be other device coming with the omap 3 processor and I can expect some of them to come with flash support.

So official flash support on the pandora might no be so unlikely. Would be nice to have the option to use gnash too.

Interestingly the "pre", the new device that palm just introduced is running an Omap3 processor. It's running their new OS, "webOS" which uses the linux kernel.
There did not answer the question if it will have flash support but my guess is there are trying to get flash support from adobe and it's probably going to be available at some point.
The Palm pre and my Pandora are going to become best buddies when I get them both. ^_^ By the way, one of my other friends who had been reading up on it after I told him about it said that in one of the sources he read, it said that the pre would ship with Flash support.

-God Ginrai

Back