Fitlet2 - tiny Compulab industrial fanless x86 computers

Grench

Forum Addict!
I don't work for them and have no benefit from this. We're all into tiny computers here - preferably with Linux. Compulab ships the Fitlet2 with Linux Mint without charging a Windows tax. I paid $2.10 per unit to have Mint pre-installed - mostly as a vote/thumbsup for their Linux support. Windows pre-install is $56.20 if that is your preference.

https://fit-iot.com/web/products/fitlet2/

I have two on order.
One - J3455, 2GB, 32GB, +2=4 Gb Ethernet. Planned use: Linux Bridge Router
Two - J3455, 8GB, 250GB, +WiFi. Planned use: Linux home theater client

Why Fitlet2 instead of any of the other Apollo Lake fanless tiny comuters? Not only did I not want any fans, but I also don't want any vents for dust to clog. These little computers are essentially one big heatsink/radiator.

If there is interest I'll continue with my thoughts after I get the units.

Lately I have been looking something like this as a desktop computer.

Wanted something with two ethernet ports. Which is hard to find and I ended finding industrial minipcs with a ton of serial ports and other unneeded features.

Now this one fits my case just perfect. Thanks a lot for sharing I really liked it.

... Dust will find a way...
Yes, some dust will inevitably find it's way into the case. But, with those giant fins, dust won't stop the unit from dissipating heat unless it buries the thing.

Looks interesting. I will eagerly await the report of your experiences with them.

2 week leadtime for custom unit purchases + shipping from Israel to US... I expect to see them sometime around the start of February.

looks super neat. i have a nuc for now, but if/when it needs replacing, this would be great. its fan usually runs, despite it being a low-power computer. (which usually isn't a problem, since we're not within 5 feet of it when no other sounds are on. but it would still be nice to have something completely quiet.)

@Grench, please review once you have had time to try them out. I wonder what the minimum order quantity and cost is for those custom colors (I didn't look at the PDF yet).

... Dust will find a way...
Fail! :p

"Dust, uh, finds a way."

I bought similar system (similar spec, fanless but bigger...) and I was disappointed to see that it didn't cut it for steam streaming... Luckily that wasn't the goal for this system... That one looks great and tiny...

My NUC died recently. Probably related to running constantly at 75C 24*7, with the fan constantly on. I'd only had it 3.5 years or so. Not massively impressed with its thermal management. It was running Win10 though....hmmmmm.

This might be a perfect replacement, especially if I can reuse the 8Gb SODIMMs and M2 SSD.

@Grench, please review once you have had time to try them out. I wonder what the minimum order quantity and cost is for those custom colors (I didn't look at the PDF yet).

Fail! :p

"Dust, uh, finds a way."

Will do. Keep in mind that I probably won't have these until February. (Two weeks lead time for custom orders + transcontinental shipping time).

Fitlet2 with CJ3455, (4) 1Gb ethernet, 2GB RAM, 32GB M.2, Linux Mint.

Fitlet2 with CJ3455, 802.11ac, 8GB RAM, 250 GB M.2, Linux Mint.

Pandora for scale.
9FyJxxp.jpg

Two new toys and no time to play with them this week. Yes, they really are tiny, 12Vdc, passive, ventless, 64bit x86, quad core computers with factory installed Linux Mint.

wow those are tiny.

My NUC died recently. Probably related to running constantly at 75C 24*7, with the fan constantly on. I'd only had it 3.5 years or so. Not massively impressed with its thermal management. It was running Win10 though....hmmmmm.

my nuc has been running since late 2015 without issues, on linux (lubuntu), and the fan is also constantly on. not at high speed, but definitely not off. temps read 38C to 44C, though, so not super hot.

Saw this - http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2017/03/mintbox-mini-pro-airtop-preview/
Thought it was the same thing at first, but even though it's not, it's made by the same people

Made by the same people, yes. IMHO though, far from the same thing.

On a plus note - I have had good luck with installing Debian on the two Fitlet2 boxes that I have. I haven't had time for much progress beyond verifying that the OS installed and that the 4 port gigabit version can see all 4 ethernet ports.

Seems snappy on the interface. I have not tried gaming on them - but that isn't what I bought them for.

they'll be coming out with a beefier version soon with GPU options, still fanless:

https://liliputing.com/2018/02/compulab-airtop2-inferno-compact-fanless-gaming-pc-crowdfunding.html

i guess they call it "Inferno" because it'll be a little hot to the touch...

this is going to make the ataribox less interesting in my eyes...

Same company, completely different market segment. Fitlet2 are tiny, passive, ventless, industrial computers ~<20W. The Airtop line are fanless desktops (with vents) ~120W. The Inferno is a desktop PC in full 1080 gaming specs ~220W.

If the Airtop & Inferno line are anything like my two Fitlet2 boxes, they will be very well engineered.

I am curious where the Inferno will price at. A regular Airtop can be speced into the >$1500 range.

yay for market segmentation! yeah, the inferno will be pricey. the kickstarter launches the 24th, i believe, though, so we'll see.

I have a Trimslice Pro, a Utilite Pro, an IntensePC Pro, a uSVR (stuffed it full of SSDs--that was expensive), and a fit-PC4 Pro...
I wanted an Airtop, but I don't know what I'd do with it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The only problem with Compulab products is the noise. All them them squeak and squeal and tick--my uSVR sounds like it has actual hard drives in it.

Last edited:
Back