Fish fans?

Aww, now you've found out my secret :(

k8NYZ.png

Both very nice! I especially like the bamboo in the first (I like bamboo, I don't know why). I didn't know that you could put bamboo in a tank like that. Is that salt water? I guess not because the bamboo wouldn't like it. I like it when people put plant life in their aquariums, it seems to add a lot character to the tank.

Yeah, that's freshwater.

Not that you care and totally off topic, but did you know that if you reinforce concrete with bamboo strips it is comparable to steel rebar? You can also make beer and diesel fuel from the blossoms and seeds. If we grew enough bamboo, you could totally stop cutting down trees. Bamboo has an average growth rate (while in season) of around 20 inches a day. The world record is 47 inches in 24 period. People say that if you sit next to one you can hear them grow! A large bamboo stand can produce an amazing amount of wood. Can you imagine a 40' tree growing in just one season? Your average North American pine/whatever takes like 15 years to grow a similar amount. Is it any wonder that logging companies oppose the introduction of large verities of bamboo?

I saw Phish a few times in 2000-2001 pre-hiatus.
I was hoping this thread wasn't about them. He-he. No offense, Link. I respect everyone's musical interests.

Haven't had fish of my own since I was a kid. But I shared a house with a bunch of friends years ago. One of my roommates maintained this tank in our living room. Can't tell you much about the fish. One of them is a Snakehead I think? The tank was freaking huge (200 gallons maybe.. I can't remember). It was quite relaxing to watch them sometimes, especially after a crappy day. Wish I had a better pic of the pretty yellow one.

fish1l.jpg

fish2z.jpg

edit: Let's see some more fishys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh nice! Definitely a snakehead, some awesome cichlids, and a shark (not real shark, just a fish named for its shape.)

I was hoping this thread wasn't about them. He-he. No offense, Link. I respect everyone's musical interests.

That was ten years ago. I wouldn't pay to see them again, now if someone gave me a ticket, i might just go to watch people hug police horses in the parking lot.

I will look at the other pictures when I get home from work, I just wanted to respond to those who commented on my pics real quick.

Both very nice! I especially like the bamboo in the first (I like bamboo, I don't know why). I didn't know that you could put bamboo in a tank like that. Is that salt water? I guess not because the bamboo wouldn't like it. I like it when people put plant life in their aquariums, it seems to add a lot character to the tank.

Thanks! The bamboo does ok but you will need to replace it periodically. I forget what it is called, but the substrate in my tank is specifically made for aquatic plants so that may help them last longer.

Very nice! Typically random selections don't work out well, but it seems everything worked out here.

Thanks! I guess it is not entirely random, I have vetoed a few picks in the past. She knows the cichlid aisle in the store we go to is off limits as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back