First Try With Java

Bonbon-Chan

Still Fresh
Finnaly I got my pandora :D . So I decide to give a try to java.

I have install JamVM and I run one of my old Java4K entry... and I get an exception.

"Caused by: java.awt.AWTError: Cannot load AWT toolkit: gnu.java.awt.peer.gtk.GtkToolkit"

gtk ?!? :unsure:

Should I install some gtk library or is it not a good idea to use JamVM ?

You need the classpath libraries too.

I don't know that the differences between jamvm, cocoa and that other vm are.

Spirit said:
You need the classpath libraries too.

I don't know that the differences between jamvm, cocoa and that other vm are.

Ok. What I have done :

Code:
sudo opkg update
sudo opkg install jamvm

Installation of JamVM ok

Code:
sudo opkg install classpath

I got :
Code:
Installing classpath (0.98-r3.5) to root...
Downloading http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/base/classpath_0.98-r3.5_armv7a.ipk.
Installing libgmp3 (4.2.4-r0.5.5) to root...
Downloading http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/unstable/ipk/glibc/armv7a/base/libgmp3_4.2.4-r0.5.5_armv7a.ipk.
Configuring libgmp3.
Collected errors:
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package classpath wants to install file /usr/lib/classpath/libjavanet.so
	But that file is already provided by package  * check_data_file_clashes: classpath-minimal
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package classpath wants to install file /usr/lib/classpath/libjavanet.so.0.0.0
	But that file is already provided by package  * check_data_file_clashes: classpath-minimal
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package classpath wants to install file /usr/lib/classpath/libjavalangmanagement.so.0
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package classpath wants to install file /usr/lib/classpath/libjavalangmanagement.so.0.0.0
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package classpath wants to install file /usr/lib/classpath/libjavaio.so.0
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package classpath wants to install file /usr/lib/classpath/libjavalang.so.0.0.0
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package classpath wants to install file /usr/lib/classpath/libjavalangmanagement.so
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package classpath wants to install file /usr/lib/classpath/libjavautil.so
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package classpath wants to install file /usr/lib/classpath/libjavanio.so
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package classpath wants to install file /usr/lib/classpath/libjavaio.so
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package classpath wants to install file /usr/lib/classpath/libjavalang.so.0
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package classpath wants to install file /usr/lib/classpath/libjavalangreflect.so
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package classpath wants to install file /usr/lib/classpath/libjavalangreflect.so.0.0.0
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package classpath wants to install file /usr/lib/classpath/libjavautil.so.0.0.0
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package classpath wants to install file /usr/lib/classpath/libjavanio.so.0.0.0
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package classpath wants to install file /usr/lib/classpath/libjavalang.so
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package classpath wants to install file /usr/lib/classpath/libjavanet.so.0
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package classpath wants to install file /usr/lib/classpath/libjavanio.so.0
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package classpath wants to install file /usr/lib/classpath/libjavaio.so.0.0.0
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package classpath wants to install file /usr/lib/classpath/libjavalangreflect.so.0
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package classpath wants to install file /usr/lib/classpath/libjavautil.so.0
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package classpath.

Jam have allready install some minimal library...

ps: it is fun to post from the Pandora :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You can try to either uninstall classpath-minimal before installing classpath, or to install classpath with the option --force-overwrite

joseluisjazz said:
You can try to either uninstall classpath-minimal before installing classpath, or to install classpath with the option --force-overwrite
I highly suggest not using --force-overwrite for a simple issue like this. Uninstall classpath-minimal (there is a flag to ignore dependencies so jamvm won't be sad), then install the normal packages.

Spirit said:
joseluisjazz said:
I highly suggest not using --force-overwrite for a simple issue like this. Uninstall classpath-minimal (there is a flag to ignore dependencies so jamvm won't be sad), then install the normal packages.

classpath-minimal removed
classpath installed

Still the same problem :huh:

Spirit said:
Did you install classpath-gtk? :)

Of course... not :blush:

Thanks it is working now... but it is really slow with JamVM. I will try other VM now I have a better idea of how it works.

In the repo, I have found :
- cacao
- openjdk-6-vm-cacao
- openjdk-6-jre

I hope they will be better optimized for ARM.

I have try openjdk-6-jre and it is far better :) I had just to install this package (i didn't have to deal with classpath) and the speed is far better. But it have crashed several times with AWT.

The Pandora should really have a JVM included in the NAND by default. ProGuard is useful and all, but if you have to bundle a whole VM with every PND you produce, it isn't going to help as much.

Back