First Steps

delramos

Still Fresh
OK, so we've established I'm a noob and I know some of you dudes hate us so...if really dumb simple questions upset you, go read another post.

I got the GP2x, I got the memory card, NOW WHAT THE HELL DO I DO?

I really want to run some emulators on this thing.

In an ideal world, I would like to be playing Elite on a BBC Micro emulator.

I found a BBC emulator, but being thick as whatever, I have no idea how to get it on the console, how to open it, how to make do anything.

SOrry. If someone could talk me through this one thing, I will be sorted (for the moment)

I tried going here http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,23,933 but couldnt open the pdf.

Yes, I am that dumb.

A patient, gentle person to help would be gratefully appreciated and you will be rewarded in heaven.

Del
x

Don't want to ruin your day here, but Elite will be very difficult to play on a GP2X.

In order to have keyboard input on an emulator, you have to press a key to bring up a keyboard menu (which will cover a portion of the screen), then use the joystick to navigate the keyboard and press a key and then flick back to the game!

As I recall, Elite has a LOT of keyboard controls and it might be tricky to gleen any real enjoyment whilst constantly flicking from the game to the keyboard input :( That said, the BBC emulator (which I'm not familiar with, BTW) may have key mapping capabilities, so you *may* be able to map the more common keys to the GP2X buttons - pass.

Start by downloading the BBC emulator and there should be a text file in the archive which will tell you how and where to install it to your GP2X. Info can usually be found at the developlers website too.

Come back if you get stuck :)

I got the GP2x, I got the memory card, NOW WHAT THE HELL DO I DO?I really want to run some emulators on this thing. In an ideal world, I would like to be playing Elite on a BBC Micro emulator.

You could use an NES emulator to play the NES version of Elite. It's probably not as good as the BBC version, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about not having a real keyboard.

I found a BBC emulator, but being thick as whatever, I have no idea how to get it on the console, how to open it, how to make do anything.

Most of the time, it's as simple as unzipping whatever game/emulator you downloaded and putting the contents where the game's instructions tell you to put them.

I tried going here http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,23,933 but couldnt open the pdf. Yes, I am that dumb.

You're going to at least need to figure this one out for yourself. Otherwise, I doubt that anyone can really help you. No offense, but if you're not yet comfortable enough to perform basic downloading and file copy operation, then the GP2X really isn't for you. That being said, note that it's really not that hard. You'll just need to read a bit and have some patience with it. This is a Linux gaming console.

Otherwise, you might just be happier and better off with a DS or PSP. No real reading/configuration involved for those, you just pop the game in and play it. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

When you download a file from the archive it will be compressed, you will need a programme to decompress it - I use winwar it free and easy to use. Once you have your uncompressed files there will be a readme to explain what you need to do next.

Hope that helps :)

ok - I'm gonna throw you a bone....

do you know how to use windows explorer? you're going to need to use that to copy & manipulate files on the SD card. Do you have a card reader or are you using the supplied cable? Also, dosteridge is right, you need a program to decompress the files you download from the archive. I think he meant winRAR found at http://www.rarsoft.com. I would not try to use the BBC emulator first, as it's harder to setup than, say, a NES emulator. I would recommend starting with a homebrew game, something simple.

Here's what you do to open windows explorer (start menu->all programs->applications->windows explorer)

you need to find where you decompressed the files, then you need to copy those files over to the SD card. (hint - right click brings up a context menu, you can right click on the folder you want to copy and just click copy. Then go over to the drive letter assigned to your SD card and right click on the drive letter and hit paste.

If you have problems with anything you try, always read the readme.txt file that comes with almost EVERYTHING. They will help you with simple questions.

Lots of luck....

You are smart enough to register here, so all hope is not lost ...

An NES version of Elite?! Now THIS I have to investigate! :p

There were versions for Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Apple II, Atari ST, Commodore 64, DOS, MSX, NES, and ZX Spectrum. Info taken from here: http://www.mobygames.com/game/elite

I've read about Elite, but never played it. It was in my generation, but I was probably busy playing Wasteland on the C64. Elite always looked interesting, plus I love polyhedra.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back