First information for new Pyra owners (FAQ)

I searched a bit: whe have Debian ARM HF?
Maybe the most entertainment on the Pyra would be to experience the growing software: every update brings you a surprise ,
If the basics are running I’m fine:
The Linux Version of Word/Excel (Libre Office) maybe a Text Editor, Mail, Browser, maybe some basic Debian Games like Solitaire, Minesweeper, Space Cadet Pinball ^^ , and a calculator, maybe..

Send from something, i guess ^^

Maybe I should read some more about Debian, and Linux and this whole Software Installation over the terminal, as I have to wait until Friday anyway..
Feel free
At least on this Stage of Software Development, Owning a Pyra may be not that easy..
Owning it is surely easy for you. Easier than for us latecomers. Using it hopefully too.

I searched a bit: whe have Debian ARM HF?
yes, armhf
The Linux Version of Word/Excel (Libre Office) maybe a Text Editor, Mail, Browser, maybe some basic Debian Games like Solitaire, Minesweeper, Space Cadet Pinball ^^ , and a calculator, maybe..
LibreOffice Writer/Calc, unless you want to try LaTeX and R (you don't if you don't know).
I don't know if it is polite to ask about Text Editors, there are a lot and could lead to flame wars... I don't use vi if I can help it, but I still know its basics because there's one vi everywhere.
Mail depends on your taste: mutt ? Thunderbird ? is KMail and Evolution still around ?
for browser there's Firefox I guess, I don't know if there's a chromium, or you could use links if you want text.
I don't know which games to recomend I think there are too many options for me to be sure ?
I don't know about calculator. Mate-calc could be enough, or bc, or echo $(( ( 123 + 45 ) / 67 ))

Reactions: rSl
for browser there's Firefox I guess, I don't know if there's a chromium, or you could use links if you want text.
It seems Chromium and Firefox both need to be apt installed from the default image as it looks like it's fairly light install, there are also a dozen other browsers you can install.

Ok I see, there are a lot of options on Software,
I have Thunderbird on my Computers, so I think I would also use this on the Pyra..
the TXT Editor should be all ready on the device, i had some files as txt when I just need to have it readable on different devices, like I dit whit the Pyra Voucher, or some not that important passwords.. , or even when I want to save some Linux Scripts like the Script you need to make a PSX Game Image.. , or others ..
I make a text file whit « put tiler in HDMI Output Mode » par exemple, and just copy and paste to the terminal..
in Germany this is called a “Spickzettel” (if you want to cheat in Shool, you also need these Notes )..
I don’t think I could read a whole Book until Friday..

Feel free

Owning it is surely easy for you. Easier than for us latecomers. Using it hopefully too.

yes, armhf

LibreOffice Writer/Calc, unless you want to try LaTeX and R (you don't if you don't know).
I don't know if it is polite to ask about Text Editors, there are a lot and could lead to flame wars... I don't use vi if I can help it, but I still know its basics because there's one vi everywhere.
Mail depends on your taste: mutt ? Thunderbird ? is KMail and Evolution still around ?
I don't know which games to recomend I think there are too many options for me to be sure ?
I don't know about calculator. Mate-calc could be enough, or bc, or echo $(( ( 123 + 45 ) / 67 ))
Ive used R on the pandora, it works just fine. Is there a debian armhf package for it?

Seems there is: https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=buster&arch=armhf&searchon=names&keywords=R-base

Will try some stuff when I get my pyra

I don’t know what R or Latex means^^
I know R is in PandoRa and in PyRa , and Latex is in some sort of Gloves, or special Clothes.. , but as I’m a Nerd, I don’t think I have ever something to do whit the second ^^

I don’t know what R or Latex means^^
I know R is in PandoRa and in PyRa , and Latex is in some sort of Gloves, or special Clothes.. , but as I’m a Nerd, I don’t think I have ever something to do whit the second ^^
R is a programing language and tools for statistics.
LaTeX is kind of a library for TeX, which is a kind of markup/programming language for document layout.
I still have to learn both some day.

I intend to use it as my main computer, including media playback. Which begs the question, how is media playback atm?

Has anyone tried Kodi with the current os? I don't need hd, just as long as it runs, and sd videos and music play, ill be happy.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

I intend to use it as my main computer, including media playback. Which begs the question, how is media playback atm?

Has anyone tried Kodi with the current os? I don't need hd, just as long as it runs, and sd videos and music play, ill be happy.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk
Kind of poor until a few more things get resolved. haven't tried Kodi yet, but SMplayer so far has the best results so far. turn H264 threads to four and switch from MPV to Mplayer for the engine. If it's 720p already it works well, scaling without hardware slows things down, but one bug is the fastest direct to framebuffer renderer seems to inverts the colors. Older Divx/xvid encoded videos performs well even with the x11 renderer.

Last edited:
Are there really no GLES1 headers in Debian Buster anymore? libgles1-mesa and libgles1-mesa-dev were last available in Stretch, so mhm.
I suppose I could thrown in these headers manually and link to the 3D driver provided lib (if it's actually there, haven't tried yet). Or GL4es of course and go normal OpenGL... I do have perfectly fine GLES1 code though, so it seems like a waste.

Are there really no GLES1 headers in Debian Buster anymore? libgles1-mesa and libgles1-mesa-dev were last available in Stretch, so mhm.
I suppose I could thrown in these headers manually and link to the 3D driver provided lib (if it's actually there, haven't tried yet). Or GL4es of course and go normal OpenGL... I do have perfectly fine GLES1 code though, so it seems like a waste.
Well there may be some in the powervr driver ddk location in /opt/ in an includes directory, I'd give an exact path, but sans-pyra at work.

Reactions: rSl
Hardware accelerated 3D is working in the current OS with these instructions: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/th...eos-thoughts-thread.99139/page-7#post-1676896
Only the GL4es and LD_LIBRARY_PATH steps are necessary, the rest is already in place with the current image.

Compiling GL4es on my own worked for a few things but crashed others. The precompiled one works better. Not sure if I used the wrong compiler settings or the latest source is a bit unstable.

There's apparently no official package for that, but there is a repo you can add to your sources.list to get it. I'd expect that to run not at all acceptably on current software mind you.

How to insert the Batterie Easy:
Dont put the Batterie in the Batterie compartment, like you maybe dit whit the Pandora, its sits too thight,
First Put the Batterie in the Cover, than close the Cover, works much better..

I found on "Display Options" that the Standart Orientation is set to "Right", will the HDMI Out work correct when i just set it to "Normal" ?
Is this the same like the Dissable Tiler Script do, but in GUI?

Cool; since the apt upgrade yesterday, at recharging in turn off, my CPU Activity indicator (LID LED) Ditnt turn on like it dit bevor, so now whe dont need anymore to shut it down after charging

Where do whe get updates when new updates are available? Just apt update apt upgrade every eveening?

Back