Firmware V2.1.1

Yes, did the star-select, did the utility selection... One thing that scared me, though, is that when I tried to downgrade to upgrade again, it said "Firmware updating" for like 3 seconds then loaded the menu. Then I tried to find the utility on the SD card, and it wasn't there.

Spooky.

Edit: Oh, it's probably because the firmware 2.0.0 didn't have a gpe, did it?

Edit again: I did it in the reverse-suggested order and it worked with 2.1.1, I did the .gpe first, then did the start-select thing, and now both screens show 2.1.1. Wow, a lot of fuss over nothing, heh.

Aside from the ability to use skins and the media player fixes, is there any other reason to apply the 2.1.1 update? I have recently bought a gp2x and I am concerned about bricking it due to a bad f/w update.

If the 2.1.1. update has a problem, is it possible to "undo" by reflashing to 2.0.0?

Aside from the ability to use skins and the media player fixes, is there any other reason to apply the 2.1.1 update? I have recently bought a gp2x and I am concerned about bricking it due to a bad f/w update.

If the 2.1.1. update has a problem, is it possible to "undo" by reflashing to 2.0.0?
I think it just depends on how seriously bricked your GP2X is. That worked when I accidentally bricked mine, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think it just depends on how seriously bricked your GP2X is. That worked when I accidentally bricked mine, though.

Ok so that answers my second question about recovering from a bad flash - but my first still stands, what is the benefit of updating to 2.1.1 aside from the skins and media player updates?

if its only a change in the audio player ill pass (i got a few ipods) and 2.1.0 works fine for me...

I don't really see a reason to not upgrade. It takes barely a minute. And I think they improved the video player, too.

Quoted for absolute truth!! Easiest FW Update so far ... I had to run the patch manually on the last update (2.1.0)

Yes the video playback quality is smoother over 2.1.0 for sure, on my unit in any case :)

I don't really see a reason to not upgrade. It takes barely a minute. And I think they improved the video player, too.

I found it extremely unstable - it would greenscreen if an application locked up and you had to use the power switch to reboot, forcing you to keep reflashing to resurrect your dead gp2x.

Went back to 2.0.0 as it's 100% stable.

Well, my 2c is that I haven't seen anything yet that convinces me that it's worth updating to 2.1.1 from 2.0. As Tony says, it's rock stable.

The only thing the 2.1 and 2.1.1 updates seem to have been good for is breaking stuff and creating threads about it not working. Meh.

Well, my 2c is that I haven't seen anything yet that convinces me that it's worth updating to 2.1.1 from 2.0. As Tony says, it's rock stable.

The only thing the 2.1 and 2.1.1 updates seem to have been good for is breaking stuff and creating threads about it not working. Meh.
Like someone said, even if you're not interested in the additions, 2.1.0 made reading the SDs faster (or better... or something), which improves performance on some apps. Gngeo is one of them.

I found it extremely unstable - it would greenscreen if an application locked up and you had to use the power switch to reboot, forcing you to keep reflashing to resurrect your dead gp2x.

Went back to 2.0.0 as it's 100% stable.

Weird, I have not encountered a need for reflashing at all, not even green screen problem.

And video playback has improved a lot. With 2.0.0, I could not play pocketdivx xvid-encoded videos (320*xxx) at "battery save" setting for a long time, because it would lock up frequently. Now, I have not seen a single lock-up in this case with 2.1.0 and 2.1.1. That alone makes the upgrade worthwhile for me.
2.0.0 would even lock-up at full playback setting for high res videos.

Back