Firmware Upgrade Guide

nickspoon

vultum stultum habes
Website
Visit site
So, you've noticed a new firmware release for the GP2X, and you want to upgrade. Seems simple enough, but it's something many people have problems with. So, here's a handy guide.

1) Unzip the firmware files to your SD
Take the firmware files out of the main zip and put them onto the root of your SD card. Do NOT unzip the zipped file within the firmware zip. The patch gpu will do this for you.

2) Boot your GP2X, and wait for a Firmware Upgrading screen
Insert your card into the SD card slot in the GP2X. Switch it on. After the black GP2X screen, a box should appear with "Firmware Upgrading" and a picture of a chip in it. If it doesn't, then you need to find another SD card that works, or use Robster's Alternative Kernel Flasher (see links). After this screen appears, your GP2X will boot to the main menu.

3) Enter the Utilities menu, and run the patch[numbers].gpu
Go to Utilities in the main menu and press B. There should be a list of the folders and gpus on your SD card. Scroll down to the entry that says patch with a load of numbers after it. Press B. If you are upgrading to 1.4.0 or above, you should see a graphic showing "Patching". If you are upgrading to any earlier firmwares, the screen on your GP2X will go black for a few seconds. This is normal. When the patch has finished, the GP2X menu will appear. If you followed the instructions correctly, your firmware should have been upgraded.

Remember to upgrade firmware on a PSU or, if one is not available, fully charged batteries. If your batteries die during an upgrade, then your GP2X will be bricked, i.e. not work any more.

Troubleshooting
My boot screen says [version of firmware I'm upgrading to], but my info screen (under Settings) says [version of my old firmware]!
You haven't run the patch. Follow Step 3 again.

My info screen (under Settings) says [version of firmware I'm upgrading to], but my boot screen says [version of my old firmware]! or I can't get a firmware upgrading screen!
The firmware hasn't upgraded during boot-up. Make sure you followed Steps 1 & 2 correctly. If you're sure you've followed the steps correctly, and a Firmware Upgrading doesn't appear, then your SD card may not be compatible with firmware upgrades. Get a new SD card that is in the compatibility list, or use the Alternative Flasher (see links).

My GP2X won't boot at all! Help!
Uh-oh... looks like you've done a bad flash. Still, there might be a way to recover it, using DJWillis' debricking guide (see links). If that doesn't work, you may have to return it to the retailer, or use JTAG, a flashing interface that can unbrick almost all bricked consoles.

My SD card isn't supported and there is no Alternative Flasher for my version!
The Alternative Flasher for the previous version of the firmware you're using may work, but this is untested. You'd probably be better off waiting for an new Flasher or buying a cheap SD from the compatibility list.

FAQ
I'm using firmware [version]! Can I upgrade to firmware [version]?
Yes. All firmware upgrades are cumulative, meaning that all the features from the previous version will work with the current one. Hence you can flash any firmware to any other firmware, however you may experience problems if you try to flash a later firmware to an earlier one.

Hey, what about 2.0?

1. There are more files in the zip for firmware 2.0 than for the other firmwares. Put all of these on to your SD. To replace the bootup sound, replace gp2xsound.wav with a sound of exactly the same properties (length, bitrate, etc.).
2. Start your GP2X. Wait for the Firmware Upgrading screen. If you don't get one, you have an incompatible SD. After upgrading the firmware, your GP2X will hang at green screen. This is normal.
3. Restart the GP2X, holding down select and start. Continue holding these until you reach the Firmware Upgrading screen. You will get another Firmware Upgrade screen, after which you will get patching and formatting screens. There is no need to run a gpu patch. You're done!

Links
Firmwares and Alternative Kernel Flashers
Debricking guide
SD Card Compatibility List
More info on Firmware Upgrades
GamePark Holdings' Guide to Upgrading to 2.0

There is only a download for a 1.2 patcher, I need to update my gp2x to firmware 1.4 because my video player don't play video at all after I just ran it through utlities menu, everything else works but not video.

I'm currently running firmware 1.1.0. Is it safe to go directly from 1.1.0 to 1.4.0?

As in, do I need to run the patch files for all of the previous firmwares, or do I just need to run 1.4.0's?

Ok i bought my bp2x off ebay and i told them to upgrade to 1.4 and on boot up screen it says 1.2 but info says 1.4 so to fix it do i just run the firmware upgrade all over again from the start?

The guide has been updated for 2.0. If you're confused about 2.0 and have upgraded before, just read the section on 2.0. If this is your first upgrade, read through the whole guide before upgrading.

Thankyou and have a nice day :)

I'd like to upgrade to 2.0 (from 1.4), but my SD card isn't supported.

i doubt that i can use the 1.4 patcher with the 2.0 files, ... so..... is there any other way to upgrad?

HELP!

I followed this guide to upgrade to 2.0 and now I have a dead GP2X. All I got when I switched it on after hanging on the green screen is a stripey screen of death. Is there anything I can do? What went wrong?

®

Copy all the FW2.0.0 from the archive onto your SD-Card and HOLD START+SELECT while switching the gp2x ON until the FIRMWARE UPGRADE screens appears once more.

Your upgrade was only half-finished.

What about me, then?
I used Robsters u-boot updater, attempted to then upgrade my firmware.
I used a card reader to put the updates on the sd card, and am using a
universal adaptor to power the upgrade, so no batteries.
My 'jeep' gets as far as the 'firmware upgrading' screen, and has now been
hanging there for about half an hour. How long should I wait?
I am also in the process of checking out D.J.Willis' Unbricking Guide.
What a crock.....!
I WANT MY JEEP BACK !!!

YES!!!!!!! SORTED!
I finally got it. It seems one has to keep trying it out by repeatedly booting the unit, must have done it about ten times, and eventually, it patches and then upgrades. I strongly recommend using an ac adaptor.
For all you who don't get it first time, keep trying to re-boot it it will work eventually. (Incidentally, I 'locked' my sd card so's no files were deleted during the process, makes a difference? I don't know, but try it anyway).
BIG UP TO ROBSTER !! Much respect.

Locking the SD card seemed to do the trick! (although I still have no idea why that affected anything...)

Thanks, DooDah!

For newer systems (>2.0.0) you need to hold START+SELECT when turning on your GP2X. Here is a link to the official instructions for 2.0.0:
Gamepark firmware instructions

Read and understand everything. The real instructions begin after this heading
-------------------------------------------
How to upgrade Firmware
-------------------------------------------

Back