Firmware 2.0.0 Updater

Thanks Robster, finally I was able to flash the 2.0.0 firmware into my GP2x. The U-Boot of firmware 1.0.0 (red light on) didn't recognize any of my SD cards...

Hi guys,
The Updater worked fine, but, now I'm stuck in the GP2X Firmware v2 screen... what should I do?
I've tried to turn it holding the SELECT and START button, and still the same.

All the files still on the card.

I've also tryied to format and start again, same thing.

Is there ANY way to reverse the process?

Regards,
Cris

Cristiano,

There's no way that I can think of to reverse the process.

Everyone that has commented (here and elsewhere) that they had problems, has succeeded by trying a different card, or reformatting the card in a different device. Are you able to try either of these options?

Hi Rob,

I cannot try to "upgrade" with the 1.4?

It's not so easy to find some different cards here, and, what kind of device do u mean? Like a digital camera, or something else? Does it need to be in FAT32 format?

The only thing that I have in mind is try to use a Palm to format, what do you think?

Thanks Rob,
Cris

Hi Guys,

I used my mobile microsd card (with the adaptor) and turned the GP2X holding the SELECT+START button, and its DONE!!!!!

Uhu! GP2X with Firmware 2.0!!!!!

Thanks Robs for the help.

Now... I will try to find what can I do with this new toy ;)

[]'s
Cris

Hurrah for Robster!

I had a little trouble getting stuck on the 'Firmware Upgrading' screen (which shouldn't take long compared to the patching/formatting screens), but when I copied over all the GPH firmware files and tried again it worked just fine.

Many thanks Robster.

Cristiano: sorry, I didn't provide many details did I? :) In any case, you're right about the devices. Digital cameras would certainly work, and I presume a Palm device would too. They don't have a special format do they? It does need to be FAT32.

You can't "update" with 1.4 because the 1.4 updater only updates the kernel, not U-Boot. My updaters have to be launched from the GPH menu, so if you can't get to the menu, my updater is not an option.

Not sure what else to tell you- good luck, and please report back with any developments.

Many thanks Robster!
It it didn't work for me with a 2GB Transcend 150X SDCard but finally it worked like a charm with a 1GB Kingston 50X SDCard.

Hurrah for Robster!

I had a little trouble getting stuck on the 'Firmware Upgrading' screen (which shouldn't take long compared to the patching/formatting screens), but when I copied over all the GPH firmware files and tried again it worked just fine.

Many thanks Robster.

the same here.

maybe you'd like to change your readme so it reads:

1. upgrade uboot
2. copy all firmware update files to the sd card again (in case something was removed)
3. boot gp2x + holding start+select

step 2. is the solution for the problem

"my gp2x hangs in the "firmware upgrading" screen"

oh, and probably add:

"although the firmware upgrading says "formatting sd" you're lucky - it won't remove your cards content"

Last edited by a moderator:
The UBoot installed fine but on the first Firmware Upgrading screen try it froze.

It worked second time though, so here is what I used each time for reference for peeps who are having trouble:-

I have a 512mB Viking (Toshiba) card

1st Try (failed)
Copied files listed as needed in the readme to the root directory
Left card contents on
Left UBoot files on

2nd Try (passed)
Format Card in WinXP
Placed all the firmware files on the card

"firmware upgrading" will not go away, it will stay there and not get to the green screen.

any suggestions?

Hello,

My gp2x seems to stop at stage 2:

"2) Let U-Boot update the rest of the system"

I switched it on holding down Start and Select it just sits on the black opening screen with "firmware v2" written on it.

Is this bad?

EDIT: Got it working. You need to format fat32. fat16 will not work. Ubuntu Dapper users make sure you are using the latest apt-get version of gparted.

I had to re-copy my files as well, but that did the trick... Good work, and thanks.

Back