Firewhip Demo 1 Released

I want to say that game good for fenix =) And i don't expect it...
Sorry for my lol :D
P.S.
I like fenix!!!

Huxley posted on Dec 4 2006 at 06:49 PM said:
Played it a bit more and got used to the difficulty level somewhat. Lightning whip, woo!

Hmm...actually, is it just me or is it worse than the firewhip?
It's worse but necesary for turn on the elevators.
Try to defeat the final boss with lightning whip! It's possible to defeat him, but I think only Chuck Norris would accomplish a task like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
The game seems nice but there are a few issues that made my play session unenjoyful (does this word exist?).

Here are a couple of suggestions:
1. The flying bugs speed is too high, avoiding them is hard. (They are also too big, maybe changing either the size or the speed will do...)
2. The shooting things fire-rate is too high and the bullet speed too.
3. The camera is zoomed too close, it should allow the player to have a wider view. When you can see enemies they are too close and it's hard to react (their speed doesn't help)

I think that the more important is point 3, the camera should be placed much farther. I think that doubling the current view size should be fine, and will help playability dramatically.

Also I don't totally like the feel of the character's jump, but it's not a big issue.

Hope this comments will help in the development process. This is meant to be positive criticism. :)

A few other suggestions:

~Make the whip capable of attacking vertically or diagonally.

~Outline the title logo in black instead of white pixels, it looks grainy and ugly when it's rotating at the start.

~Use higher color art. The background clouds on the title screen and some of the artwork in the first level looks 16 bit.

~More kinds of whips, used for solving various puzzles. It's a great idea for a gameplay mechanic and I'd like to see you expand upon it. Maybe bosses with carious weakpoints that need different whips to damage them? (Like a biss with a flaming skull that you attack with the water whip, metal armor you attack with the lightning whip, and wooden shin guards you attack with the fire whip)

I have to agree with Ryo and Rambozo. This is an awesome start to this game though... I can tell you that with these changes, this could easily be my favourite game for the GP2X. Great work!!

My one "issue" with the game is the audio. The sound effects seem to drown out everything out or sound out of place. The back ground music isn't doing it for me... but then I'm sure someone is ripping the music and putting it in thier MP3 player because they like it so much.

The eyecandy factor of this game is amazing. It has an old school feel to it.

Is there a weapon upgrade? Longer whip maybe? I've not been able to get that far into the game, keep getting whacked off a platform and falling back or killed.

Looking foward to future releases! Thanks for making my GP2X investment even better.

great for a first demo release. really smooth and good looking. gameplay problems were already mentioned but being as this is a first demo of a wip im sure most problems will be addressed and the game will only get more features and fun.

a bit off topic, but i cant find the exit! any help? (i ended up getting killed by those damn bugs over and over before i could find it!) and there are weapon upgrades already (but more wouldnt hurt)

I'm dreaming of playing a game such as Castlevania Symphony of the Night on the GP2X! its gameplay is so... fantastic and addictive! I'm really willing to pay for such a game :) You may take example on this game ;) I didn't liked elder Castlevania games, and did not try the latest games (GBA & co) but SOTN realy kicks some asses!!!

Cool! But you should add more sharpnes to the hero's sprite, I think. His face looks blured.

found a bug/glitch... ok i was killing one of those fire spitting things on the wall and when i got up (cause i crouched down to do it) a flying bug hit me and i went back and got stuck in the wall!

also GET RID OF THE FLYING BUGS!!!!! i hate them!!!!!!

chipan posted on Dec 3 2006 at 03:20 PM said:
A new game called Firewhip has been released, It's a castlevania-like plattaformer made by Coelophysis;
Check it out at http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,35,1941
Coelophysis is an spanish coder but an english readme is also included.

Check the gp32spain official thread to find out some screenshots and give feedback.

attachmentyy1.jpg

Yo non hablo espanol.

XaMMaX90 posted on Dec 8 2006 at 08:19 AM said:
Runs great with 50mhz!!!
I somehow doubt that... Fenix? :huh:

- Alex

Alex. posted on Dec 8 2006 at 02:04 PM said:
XaMMaX90 posted on Dec 8 2006 at 08:19 AM said:
Runs great with 50mhz!!!
I somehow doubt that... Fenix? :huh:

- Alex
Fenix resets the clockspeed when it restarts, which is why he think's it works at 50mhz. Its actually whatever fenix sets it to.

Back