Finally... A Usb Modem That Doesent Stick Out

i'm slightly concerned as to whether it will cover the left shoulder button though...

Good point about the shoulder button...

Still nice find ! The rotating usb thing is really good idea.
Did you check if they work nicely in linux ?

i know its possible to use a phone as a wireless modem, but i was planning on using a pandora as a skype phone , so i don't need another thing bouncing around my pockets just to make calls on.

Usb modems tend to be getting more generic by the day,but each cell phone company has their own software..this could mean a pandora mobile internet client,maybe?

This could also work:http://i.expansys.com/i/l/l161860.jpg
the um20 seems good aswell,i'll look into that :pandora2:

isnt it possible to mod the pandora to0 have one of the smaller 3g cips on the motherboard?

GR8 idea!!!!!!! if only i could solder...

do those chips need a contract or do they just always work wherever u are in the world?

you will need a provider, but if there was anyway to get a 3g chip on the motherboard (that you could turn off to save battery life) id sure as hell do it

Cew27 said:
isnt it possible to mod the pandora to0 have one of the smaller 3g cips on the motherboard?
:lol:

I wonder if anyone has ever suggested this before? <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Cew27 said:

Mr devil45 said:
GR8 idea!!!!!!! if only i could solder...

do those chips need a contract or do they just always work wherever u are in the world?
*chuckles*

Cew27 said:
you will need a provider, but if there was anyway to get a 3g chip on the motherboard (that you could turn off to save battery life) id sure as hell do it
The problem is not to get a provider to support it. If you somehow manage to get a working GSM/UMTS chip and SIM card in there, every GSM provider will work. The problem is getting those chips in small quantities for a reasonable price (very difficult for GSM, more or less impossible for 3G), connecting it to the Pandora board (I can't even imagine how that would work. It probably wouldn't.) and then writing a working Linux driver for it (again very difficult or impossible as the probability that the chip manufacturer will help you is very low). Forget it. It's not going to work.

gr8 links on the chips,fahrstuhl.

could someone , theoretically, just solder one in [after expanding the case slightly][which i intend to do anyway,to fit my odd guitar-playing hands.]
shove a sim card in , use a very simple driver, and go? im pretty sure that most uk companies provide hspda, and 7.2 gbps max on a panda= ownzage!!!

ps:what does fahrstuhl mean? i'm pretty sure its either :
to go to a chair
to go for a crap
sorry, but i've only studied german for a year.i understood most of the thread u posted though..

Mr devil45 said:
gr8 links on the chips,fahrstuhl.

could someone , theoretically, just solder one in [after expanding the case slightly][which i intend to do anyway,to fit my odd guitar-playing hands.]
shove a sim card in , use a very simple driver, and go? im pretty sure that most uk companies provide hspda, and 7.2 gbps max on a panda= ownzage!!!

ps:what does fahrstuhl mean? i'm pretty sure its either :
to go to a chair
to go for a crap
sorry, but i've only studied german for a year.i understood most of the thread u posted though..
You can't just solder a chip into a PCB. You need a place to put it, first. There is no room for additional components on the Pandora PCB. Second, you need some way of connecting it to the processing circuit. Again, there is minimal support here. You might be able to attach a board containing all of the GSM/HSDPA circuitry to the external connector, or bypass the USB connector to get it in there, but all in all, you'd probably have to be an electrical engineer with very good soldering skill to pull it off. No offense, but you don't seem like the person who would be able to do this (if it is even possible).

Back