Femtocell - technology explained

Fzero

Advanced Member
Three, a mobile provider in UK, oft known for their lesser quality signal, offer a box called Home Signal Box, which I believe is using this femtocell technology.

I can see what it does in terms of result - boost the 3G signal.

I want to know "how" this works though.

can't see any info about it from a quick search, hoping one of you guys knows bit more about it.

is it converting WiFi signal to 3G?

any info appreciated on the more technical side of what is happening inside these boxes

thanks, I thought it was a VoIP system but see it is not now.

Had never even heard of these boxes until today

thanks, I thought it was a VoIP system but see it is not now.
The way I read it, they're pretty much saying it is. You're talking to the box in your home via GSM, but from there on upstream it's VOIP (or some similar voice-over-broadband implementation).

Last I heard Orange in the UK were coming out with one of these, has anyone seen or heard anything regarding this?

I ask as the signal in our house is shocking unless upstairs.

Ian check this page and contact them if I were you...

help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/725973

says only available to some customers at moment but will be more widely available in 2013.

if you phone and moan you might get it.

my mate is with Three, they didn't mention anything about the Home Signal Box until he kicked up a fuss regarding his weak signal at home and was talking about canceling and sacking the contract. ... then they told him about this and sent him it. now gets full bars throughout entire house so it works

At least you have wifi as of now . I have to wait until valentines day to get it .

Yeah I was reading one of your posts in another thread somewhere yesterday 2bit ... your location in Oregon is a bit 'big Country' isn't it, from the impression I got.

How come you've got to wait until then, is that a repair or is that just hooking you up for the first time where you live?

I've a vision of your home being a wooden build, with a lot of forest nearby and a loooong drive to get to anything like a petrol station or shops.

Like if you fire your gun in the air, chances are nobody would even hear it ... that far away from anything.

Purely how I am visioning it though, I've no idea what Oregon is like at all, going to Google image it now in fact

Edit: Well it does look a bit like what I would call 'big Country', but looks a beautiful place in terms of natural beauty.

Of course Oregon is almost the size of my entire Country so sure it can vary one side to the next but just image searching 'Oregon' shows a load of great looking mountain views, blue skies, big seas and waterfalls.

My mental visual impression was of a more dusty terrain, more orange rocks and canyon type scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the area where I live isn't *THAT* extreme . The nearest retro gaming store is roughly 20 minutes away , and that's in the next state over , But im close to the border . We are however far enough out where it's not weird to hear gunshots and explosions ( mostly just folks just having some fun ) , however there are some places about a 4,5 hour drive away like that . As for deserty and dry there are some Relativly dry areas east of the cascades .

As for " why " it is taking so long for us to get wifi , I'm not sure . I'm just glad we will be getting it soon .

Back