Females

Exophase said:
For some reason, the male to female ratio on technically oriented forums online is very high. In my experience there actually tends to be more m2f transgenders (mainly pre-op) than people born female.

This is so true. All the transgendered people I've ever met/know right now are giant geeks.

Don't forget http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynn_Conway the most famous example:

Lynn Conway (born 1938) is an American computer scientist, electrical engineer, inventor, and transsexual activist.

Conway is notable for several technical achievements, including the Mead & Conway revolution in VLSI design, which incubated an emerging electronic design automation industry. She worked at IBM in the 1960s and is credited with the invention of generalised dynamic instruction handling, a key advance used in out-of-order execution, used by most modern computer processors to improve performance.[1]

ashdjones said:
Exophase said:
For some reason, the male to female ratio on technically oriented forums online is very high. In my experience there actually tends to be more m2f transgenders (mainly pre-op) than people born female.

This is so true. All the transgendered people I've ever met/know right now are giant geeks.
how... many transgendered people... do you know?

Kyosys said:
ashdjones said:
Exophase said:

ive noticed the same thing. in fact, the admin of game making forum i used to go on is now a transgender...

Lynn Conway (born 1938) is an American computer scientist, electrical engineer, inventor, and transsexual activist.
I'm an electrical engineer, very interested in computer science, has always dreamed about becoming an inventor (that's why I always wanted to be an engineer) and I'm ok with GLBT people :ph34r:
I've had a long hair for some years and I did have some gay/bi people trying "something more" with me :oops: hahahah I never tried anything, but I feel it's ok for them to try :confused: maybe that's why I'm ok with them
btw I have a girlfriend, and she knows it :p

Kyosys said:

About a dozen. I've been doing work with a charity here in England that delivers a trans-awareness workshop.

The first trans friend I ever had was a huge geek, but I stopped liking her when she accidentally blew up my PC monitor and moved to London with my Snes.

:lol:

ashdjones said:
Exophase said:

There is are actually a few reasons for this.
  • As to forums, your physical being is unknown, therefore you can be who you want to be
  • Computers and technology are "safe" to a tg mind. They will never reject you or hate you for who you are :(
  • Preop (and more specifically pre horomone) transgenders usually undergo extreme mental stress. Pure harmonic logic is a very good distraction from one's own mind.
  • The geek/nerd stereotype is sometimes (but not always) an outcast position, just like transgenderism (can you believe FireFox won't recognize that word). They are looking for a place to fit in. (That and geek/nerds seem to have higher concentrations of "softer" males, whom are less threatening)
Now this is not definitive, "scholarly" psychology, but it all makes sense (at least to me).

Back