F(x)tec Pro¹ - Slider Smartphone with physical keyboard

I knew you were a Moto Mod backer. Did you actually back a larger batch of them back then or something? Otherwise I'd have to say this isn't still quite fair in my opinion.
Couple of days... is something I'm hoping for with my device. For everyone else left there's still this bit from the newsletter sent last Monday however:
This has taken a few weeks longer than expected but with the volumes ramping up again in the next week and considering our large backlog, we expect everyone who pre-ordered to receive their devices between now and end of January.

Actually might be an idea to paste the whole thing, so here it is:
Pro1 update December

Hello!

Here’s a December update from us at F(x)tec regarding the Pro1 and in particular for those who haven't received their device yet. We read your messages, emails and posts and we aim to reply to everyone. Thank you again for supporting this phone along with your continued patience, as passionate keyboard users ourselves we are super committed to getting the Pro1’s to you as soon as possible. We do apologise for the delay so far. At F(x)tec HQ and in China we are working non-stop on production dealing with the recent screen issue and clearing our backlog.

Since the last update, we’ve been collaborating with our manufacturer to QA devices and check the screen module before assembly. As you may remember we found a minor light leak in the screen module after assembly and this resulted in lower than planned yields. Many of you have told us you don’t mind the issue and just want the device, we hear you however we want to ensure all Pro1’s are of the same production quality. The screen module is an expensive component and we’ve had to introduce an extra step in the process with a third party, before final assembly of the phones.

In the last week, Chen was in China with the team to oversee the latest improvements and approve an uplift in throughput, we are pleased to confirm he’s approved the higher amount. This has taken a few weeks longer than expected but with the volumes ramping up again in the next week and considering our large backlog, we expect everyone who pre-ordered to receive their devices between now and end of January. In the interest of speed, we will ship to you directly from our F(x)tec hub in Hong Kong which will cost us a bit more.
On the software front, the Pro1 was GMS approved last month, it is now fully compatible with Google SafetyNet features and user can use Google Pay out of box.
For those who have their devices please share your experiences with us.

Adrian and Chen
Founders, F(x)tec

I'm not mad at you rather than Fx... well after all these delays I'm not sure if I'm even really mad. I feel like I should be, but it's just business as usual now. Waiting.

Last edited:
So did anyone from this community snatch one from the DragonBox Shop? Any opinions, troubles?
Software is in beta state, but we're used to that kind of stuff here. While do not have my phone still, I am following the community around it closely so I could still potentially help out with troubleshooting of needed I guess.

I´ve got my own one.
Works fine for me so far, except for:

* QWERTZ keyoard layout has some wrong mappings
* Sometimes the keyboard crashes and a reboot is needed
* Heavy audio crackle when listening to WhatsApp voice messages
* Some audio pops and clicks overall

Also, curved edges are horrible - as they often lead to non-wanted reactions (and they´re easy to touch when pressing the uppermost keyboard row)
An app named "Edge Null" can fully fix that issue.

Keys are a bit stiff but probably wear out over time.

I´ll make a blog entry about useful apps and setups about it soon.

Mine arrived too..i am to 90% happy with it.

-Its bigger than i thought
-the Curvey Display make the Opening of the Keyboard difficult(Slider would be better)
-I must be very carefully with it because its heavy and have no Grip or Rubber on Sides (its slipery)

..but hey i must see this Phone not only as a Phone.
Its more like an older Nokia Communicator with good Power.

Enough Power to Play Playstation2 on it :)
Screenshot is from Ar Tonelico RPG and Play! from www.purei.org

temp.jpg

The wrong Keyboard Keys where very easy to fix in the OS.

Its hidden in Settings/System/Languages/PhysicKeyboard
There you can set it to German or your Language.

Aaaand when the Keyboard it out..then this Device fits good in your Hands for Gaming.

My only Problem actualy is to find a stable Bag for my Belt to put this Device in.
All my Pockets are way too small for it.

Its fast and the Sound realy realy surprised me.
All Phones i heard in the Past..never had such a good Sound like this one.;)

It should be the yellow arrow and ß, not Shift.

But the apostrophe should be on L with the yellow arrow - but that makes a ? :)

QWERTZ keyoard layout has some wrong mappings
It's unfortunate how the keyboard software implementation is only half baked when the whole draw of it is the keyboard, but there are alternative software fixes until this finally gets resolved officially.
Key Mapper or FinQwerty should be able to do it. The former with more manual work and the latter easier, but not offering a pure fixed layout that is really just what's on the labels.

Sometimes the keyboard crashes and a reboot is needed
Known but deemed to be rare... but doesn't sound like it took long for you? Though Netman from the community is actually working on a new keyboard driver to enable simultaneous key presses which hopefully fixes this alongside.

The audio popping also isn't new, but I don't think someone has managed to pin down the exact source. Some apps reliably appear to work fine while others don't. I plan to look into this myself when this is still a thing when I get mine.
The Edge Null app is useful information however. This is something people wanted but no one brought up as an app yet. I'll relay that info to the Fx forums if you don't mind.

The crashing keyboard happened for me twice a day, but for the last two days it stopped.
Maybe it´s related to some apps, for example, I switched from Nova loader to Total Launcher as you can define different widgets and layouts for portrait and landscape, which is extremely useful :)

You can post anything I post here on the FXTec community as well, but I´m currently writing a blog entry myself which I´ll post before christmas and I´ll post that on the FXTec boards as well then.

Not trolling, it looks like a cheap toy from the year 2001.
I've not felt one in the flesh, which is the only way I know to see if something it is truly cheap. As for it looking like a 2001 phone, this is what we were all rocking in 2001. If you mean it looks like a N900 then that was more 2010, not 2001, and frankly I was far happier with innovations like that than the spyware crap that's happened since then.

I've not felt one in the flesh, which is the only way I know to see if something it is truly cheap. As for it looking like a 2001 phone, this is what we were all rocking in 2001. If you mean it looks like a N900 then that was more 2010, not 2001, and frankly I was far happier with innovations like that than the spyware crap that's happened since then.

I truely miss my n900. Too many things were broken software wise to continue using it after 2014. The form factor and all the extra gadgets like the fm transmitter were amazing.

It happened, 866 days after I've backed the Moto Mod, there's finally some sort of product on the way to me.
FedEx says Friday. Hope they're better here than their reputation in the US.

...to be fair, still faster than the Pyra (1557 as of now), but I knew what I was getting myself into on that one.

But yeah, they picked up the pace before chinese new year. Hope they can keep it up afterwards for everyone else.

Edit:
It's stuck in customs, so uh... I'll get it shortly, I guess. I'm not the only one in this situation, but most appear to have just gotten straight through.
Sucks to be me.

Edit 2:
Shortly is flexible as always. Still stuck at customs, had some stuff to deal with FedEx there, but even after that it's not moving still.

Edit 3:
I have it now. And I like it. Not much to say though so dunno about making a fresh post just about that.

Last edited:
I truely miss my n900. Too many things were broken software wise to continue using it after 2014. The form factor and all the extra gadgets like the fm transmitter were amazing.
100x this...
Best phone I ever had until I broke the miniUSB and couldn't get it to charge any more :(
I'm having to make my PRIV last a bit longer before the next upgrade, but this one is on my radar! :)

Back