Extraterrestres Update

deadlychicken22

Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal
Website
Visit site
I have been very busy with school and haven't had time to work on extraterrestres or even play my gp2x. However, awhile back I got extraterrestres to work with firmware 2.0 by removing the sound code. I'm not sure why this works, but it does. I did not release it because I had hoped to get the sound working, but it doesn't look like that will be happening anytime soon.

Anyways, I finally uploaded the "updated" version to the archive in case anyone wants to play the game. You can download it here.
extraterrestres.png

Please let me know what you think.

I love this game! It's so colourful and fun, thanks a lot for making it compatible with modern firmwares. I especially like the graphics, what a beautiful mix of pixel art and illustration, I really hope you'll make more games!

What are the sound problems? Perhaps you're using old libraries. Did you try the latest devKitGP2X from the archive?

Edit: Perhaps you could put a small readme in there, I was thrown off the first couple of times, as I didn't know how to use items, or what to do. Also, I think B would be more intuitive than Y as a menu confirmation button, but it doesn't really matter all that much.

Thanks! I have plans for more games, but school and life come first. School is coming to a close but then I am going to spain with my spanish class. Life is crazy as usual.

I don't know what is causing the sound problems, the code looked fine to me. Honestly, I haven't looked at it for a couple months and don't know where it is. My dev environment is not functioning and I have been too busy with school.

The code has the action button set as X, but the number for X on the older firmwares must have been swapped with Y on the newer ones. When I get around to looking into the sound issue further I will be sure to fix this and add a readme. I am quite sure I have one written, I just have to find it. My life is somewhat disorganized at the moment.

Do you find that it is still enjoyable without the music and sound effects?

I am of the belief that music and sound effects are crucial elements to games, but I know not everyone thinks this way.

deadlychicken22 said:
Do you find that it is still enjoyable without the music and sound effects?

I am of the belief that music and sound effects are crucial elements to games, but I know not everyone thinks this way.
I think it's very fun as it is now, if I must have music, I'll turn some Metallica up. As usual, concept and gameplay are kings, graphics and sound come after (in that order, too). Extraterrestres has 3 of the 4 down, and it's free to boot! :)

PS: nice job again on the artwork, it really has a personal feel to it!

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah the graphics look even better than i remember. i think there used to be some minor graphics issues but they definitely aren't present anymore.

anyway like ive said this game is still great fun even without sound and music.

Back