External Antenna

CandidStan

I know the Pandora will have built in wifi, but however I do not know if there will be a way to access the antenna and add an extra jack whether it be Coax, or proprietary.

does anyone else have plans for this?

Since the antenna itself is simple coaxial cable, wouldn't you only need to splice the two wires together?

Unsure if the coax will use the standard connection that most laptop LCD's use.

@lucidchaos You never really want to "splice" antenna cable together. Connections are always the highest point of loss in your transmission, even with high end connectors

You have to be really careful and precise here about your connectors and cables, as there are a million different types.

Here's a good set of pictures about common antennas you will see on wifi equiment:
http://wireless.gumph.org/content/3/7/011-...connectors.html

Linksys router usually use RP-TNC connectors, (that's reverse-polarity TNC).
Internally to most laptops (such as Apple's airport) they will use a Male MC connector.
D-link routers and some PCI cards I've seen use RP-SMA
High power/ teleco equipment will use N-connectors.

Also, coaxial cable is not all the same. Most TV antenna is 75-ohm impedance, and is lossy as hell. If you tried to use that with a wifi, you'd be lucky to get 3 inches. On my homebrew wifi antenna connections, I use thin coax scavenged from computer internals for inside the case, N-connectors (because they are cheaper than SMA/MC) and high grade 50-ohm antenna coax cable. I was lucky enough to have a buddy cut me a couple feet of coax from the rolls he uses to run to his huge ham radio antennas. This stuff is really expensive, probably even more so with the huge increase in wire prices in the few years, but you need it to get proper transmission without much loss. If you try and buy the coax, I doubt you will find somebody to sell you short lengths either.

N-connectors are large, but are common in a lot of fields, so they are less expensive. I bought two RP-SMC connectors at a radio convention for $15 a piece. N-connectors are about $5, and can be found easily, but would be impossible to mount on a device like the Pandora. SMA/MC would be your best bet, but once again, is expensive. I have scavenged MC connectors and mini-coax from computers though. Apple G4 desktops have a couple feet and some connectors internal to the case, though you have to pull every bloody piece of plastic shell off to get it out.

Assuming you even get the connectors, inside the pandora, from what the connections look like to me the antenna will probably be directly connected to the board. You'll have to permanently desolder the coax internally and route it to your connector, meaning you will always have to hook up the external antenna. The coax used is really small and has two small mother board pads. One of the most annoying soldering jobs I've had to deal with was when I rerouted the connection inside my WRT router to an N-connector.

What do you really want to accomplish with an external antenna? You can get some really impressive gain on some external antennas, but a yagi or biquad is going to be bigger than the Pandora itself, not to mention thick stiff coax to deal with. The effort of getting the connection going is also going to be lot of work. In my experience,

That's my two cents.

It's in the lid; out one hinge, around the LCD, and back in the other hinge. Or it might go through something closer to the center, I forget exactly.

hells_dark said:
About the pandora wifi antenna, will it be visible ?
I can't see it on any of the renders.
I remember it was said, that it will be in the lid. No external antenna.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back