Ext Usb Host

chiefsmurph

Still Fresh
I know its possible to get usb host working through the ext slot, but is it possible to get it working without buying the break-out-box? I would prefer to build one myself.

sure it is, but i wondt have the pinout handy right now and the wiki is still down, just wait till its back up again you find all the information you need there.

chiefsmurph posted on Aug 17 2006 at 09:34 PM said:
I know its possible to get usb host working through the ext slot, but is it possible to get it working without buying the break-out-box? I would prefer to build one myself.
There's many a "custom" break out box/boards that have been made.
Here's one Torpors Rig
My One new BOB

Is would point you to the WIKI, but I can't get access to it at the moment....
All the information you need is there though!

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of curiosity, how often do you use your gp2x's usb host? Do you hold all your games on an external hd? How big is your external hd? Can I just plug it into my bob and have it work? What about keyboard or mouse support? Can I just plug those on in? Wouldn't I need some sort of drivers installed?

chiefsmurph posted on Aug 17 2006 at 03:19 PM said:
Out of curiosity, how often do you use your gp2x's usb host? Do you hold all your games on an external hd? How big is your external hd? Can I just plug it into my bob and have it work? What about keyboard or mouse support? Can I just plug those on in? Wouldn't I need some sort of drivers installed?
The program must support browsing from the root of /mnt/ AKA if you can use stuff off of NAND and SD, you will be able to navigate to /mnt/ext/sda1 and so on for each volume mounted.

The program must support a keyboard and mouse, I have used x11 and GPE with a keyboard and mouse, Qtopia with a mouse.

A game controller will probably work with the new joytest program, support in programs and emus is probably not there yet as the joytest source was just released.

Edit: to clarify, the drivers for mass storage and HID (Human Interface Device, mouse/key/gamepad/wheels/numpad/etc) are fully part of the Linux firmware as of Firmware 2.0. The program support is all we are waiting on for the controllers and mice and such.

Buy this: http://www.artaylor.co.uk/~richard/gp2x/ The second one down is a retractable USB host in a cable.

See my discussion on getting a TV-Out cable modified to have the USB host on it for about $20-30 and make that new cable available from the distributors for a good price:

$20 Usb Cable Plans/parts List/instructions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back