Explora Commodore, Barcelona Retro Meeting

canseco

Very Active Member
Hello everybody,

Today i had the pleasure to meet people from the Commodore and MSX community for the first time.

Better late than never, ;)

24lsq9v.jpg

The schedule was tiny, but packed with good talks and game tournaments.

ms2jxh.jpg

2dt7ns2.jpg

Asilo Retro podcast

a26a1y.jpg

DIY MP32C64 with Kopsec

4vqzif.jpg

25zht38.jpg

Myself, beating Tapper compo score, until 17:00PM...

t5n60h.jpg

DJ 303 in da house, ;)

ofu2ow.jpg

mttnb4.jpg

Old models

2zs8b3p.jpg

C64 TT Swin Sid

10nfclu.jpg

Hall

2ez5kih.jpg

Workshop

k2n6gk.jpg
a

International Karate Plus, 3 players at the same time, ;)

15r1uux.jpg

Commodore PET 2001, C64 and Commodore silver Radio!!

5ot7vr.jpg

Some recent spanish software releases.

More pictures coming soon, ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here we go!!

vq7kfc.jpg

Manuals

1z8az6.jpg

Magazines

rk8shw.jpg

C64 DTV?

w9ilnk.jpg

Amiga Pron

2n6daic.jpg

Some boxes

x40pao.jpg

Problem?

2mzyvxx.jpg

WTF is this?

ess37p.jpg

RetroScroll Stand

ji04jo.jpg

Pixelsmansion Stand

14iiiva.jpg

Trying to fix my C64, bad PLA, bad ;)

2mrf6gm.jpg

Flyers and MP32C64 prize, ;)

Too bad to see "Amiga" and "Commodore" associated - since they had about nothing to do with each other in the first place, and Amiga was a way better system designed by non-Commodore people than Commodore could have ever created. And let's not talk about the piss poor marketing of the AMiga by Commodore, which basically killed the brand...

This video is not mine, but it's good enough to show everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP5V_WbEKvk

Well it was either Amiga and Commodore or Amiga and Atari.  I honestly couldn't say these days which of those would have worked out for the best.
Hard to say. Maybe there would have been another option if they had managed to advertise their product a little earlier when it was really revolutionary. Commodore sucked at marketing AND R&D, letting the whole Amiga line get old before moving to the next generation, and even then the AGA chip was already late to the game, and it was supposed to be AAA instead of AGA if they had followed the internal R&D team recommendations instead.... 

AIUI Atari made the loan before the Amiga was anywhere near on sale; commodore paid enough to bring the Amiga to market and to pay off the loan to Atari (which, if it hadn't been paid off within a month, would have given Amiga to Atari).  Once they'd taken that loan, it was either Atari, Commodore or an other with large pockets - nothing was being sold yet, so sales don't count.

Of course what happened after commodore bought Amiga out is a matter for the history books.  Bringin out the C128 alongside the Amiga didn't help, and further down the line it perhaps should have held up against the DOS PC a bit better.  But aside from its MIDI interface, the Atari ST was a pretty pedestrian machine in comparison, and who knows Atari wouldn't have similarly despecced the Amiga to get it under the right price point.

IMO opinion Amiga was at least partly doomed because people didn't realize the real potential of the (quite nicely designed) OS early enough, needlessly crippling backwards compatibility of later models.

Back