Explanations Of Emulators?

jboss25

Still Fresh
Hey I see a lot of emulators out there and I was curious of what does what?

I know what is gpsp, mame4all, nes, picodrive, and snes.

But what I am primarly curious about is CPS2. Is that a marvel vs capcom thing or what?

Any recommendations on emulators I should be on the look out or grab to play certain top name games?

jboss25 said:
Hey I see a lot of emulators out there and I was curious of what does what?

I know what is gpsp, mame4all, nes, picodrive, and snes.

But what I am primarly curious about is CPS2. Is that a marvel vs capcom thing or what?

Any recommendations on emulators I should be on the look out or grab to play certain top name games?

CPS2=Capcom Play System 2, you can play these games fine in Mame4All.

You already mentioned some emulators, you maybe should take a look at GnGeo for all NeoGeo games (Metal Slug, King of Fighters and many more), cause the emulation is faster, then the NeoGeo Driver in Mame4All.
You should also check Zx81's emulators out, he released Caanoo ports of his versions of several 8-Bit Emulators, like the VCS2600, VCS7800, Colecovision, Amstrad CPC and MSX.
And finally, you should try GP2Xpectrum, at least, if you are a fan of the classic UK homecomputer, cause the emulator runs very good and is very polished.

Last edited by a moderator:
hm ok then i dont need it. but now you got me curious about GnGeo. But now one problem. I can't load mame roms and snes roms. I tried and fail epictly to the point for some reason my emulator wont pop up on caanoo unless taken out games.

where can I get gngeo roms? I am trying to download the mame4all rom set but its taking a long ass time. someone told me there was a converter is that true?

With Snes9x4C, the problem might be your filenmames. The rom selector in that program is very basic, it just lists what's in your /roms folder and it crashes if there are any subfolders or unusual characters. For instance, it crashed on me because some of my filenames had the Spanish ñ symbol, and for someone else it crashed because he had his games split up into subfolders.

jboss25 said:
hm ok then i dont need it. but now you got me curious about GnGeo. But now one problem. I can't load mame roms and snes roms. I tried and fail epictly to the point for some reason my emulator wont pop up on caanoo unless taken out games.

where can I get gngeo roms? I am trying to download the mame4all rom set but its taking a long ass time. someone told me there was a converter is that true?

Just stick with an Mame4All set, converting the roms is difficult and only works, if you have roms in all possible versions ready, cause the content of the zips constantly changes in Mame, when a rom is redumped. GnGeo already recognizes many (around 50) Mame4All NeoGeo roms. The only thing you have to watch is, that you need the NeoGeo Bios UNZIPPED in the roms folder of your GnGeo directory, you can point the second rompath to the Mame4All Rom directory. Mame4All roms go ZIPPED in the folder Roms of Mame4All.

jboss25 said:

dont ask, against forum rules

Ok I won't ask again sorry.

Ckeisel I am not going to lie I did not understand a single word you just said.

jboss25 said:
Ok I won't ask again sorry.

Ckeisel I am not going to lie I did not understand a single word you just said.

ZIP = file type, used for compressed files
ZIPPED = compressed file
UNZIPPED = uncompressed file
PATH = directory, place where files are stored
ROMPATH = directory that contains the roms
BIOS = files needed to run the emulator (further explanation unnecessary, just look for the specific bios files)

The rest should be self explanatory, if you take a look at the emulators.

ah ok. well for some reason my snes emulator wont even load like it just puts white screen and gets me back to main menu. im trying to figure out what went wrong but nothing so far. anyways also none of the mame4all romset works on my caanoo. its basically now

picodrive: works fine
mame4all: wont load any roms
snes: wont load at all
nes: loads fine

jboss25 said:
anyways also none of the mame4all romset works on my caanoo. its basically now

picodrive: works fine
mame4all: wont load any roms

If you copied the Roms (zip format) in the folder roms of your mame4all directory and they don't show up, then they aren't the right roms.

ok well no they show up and when I select it, it asks me the options to set up how the rom should me run and then when I click ok it just goes white and/or closes emulator

Try reinstalling the emulator, sounds like a corrupted card or settings for Mame4All, that don't work properly.

Back