Ethernet Internet connection

darkcpc

Still Fresh
Hi,

My main use of the Pyra will be retrogaming, but I also want to use it as my main computer and for internet.

I want a physical connection for best connection instead of wifi. With the Pyra having no ethernet port, is there any way I can have a physical wired connection from my broadband hub?

Thanks

To echo the above, using a USB-ethernet adaptor on a pandora is dead easy (just remember to enable the USB port) - but I seem to remember it consuming a lot of power. Of course, if you're sitting at desk with wired network access, that isn't really a problem.

The only difference with a Pyra is that you might be able to get higher speeds using the USB3 port (with a short adaptor flex)

It is not easy to find which of the cheap adapters are supported by Linux.

True, but I've yet to find one (of two I've bought) that didn't get recognised by Linux, and so long as they're actually cheap, it's less of a hassle if I ever found one that didn't work. To be honest, I've got used to buying cheap usb gizmos and they almost always work for me, at least on a modern linux kernel (which the Pandora doesn't quite have any more, to be fair).

And the Pyra should have access to newer kernels, the way HNS is bringing the latest kernels to his letux project before they're even formally released, although it remains to be seen what the Pyra OS will actually ship with and how that's influenced by Letux. But at least all of the hard work will have been done when you decide you need an upgrade over what debian provides.

Last edited:
Having Three Pandoras and other random devices I bought six or so different USB ethernet adapters, some with USB hubs some without, I have yet found one that didn't work on the Pandora. Pyra will use essentially be using mainline Debian, so it should even be easier.

Yeah, Even the really cheap one I bought at Action (cheap shop, a bit like the german kik) work great on my Pandora.
My Ultimate2 is way more picky and needs a special chipset for it to work.

I would imagine you could hook up a USB-C hub device that has ethernet, USB and HDMI on it, provided Debian has driver support for the chipset?

I'd imagine you get a USB-C hub with a usb micro3b connector on it, you're going to need to buy a hub with a detachable lead and buy a separate lead for it. I'm also not sure you really want to be burdening it down with HDMI either.

Physically connecting the hub to the device is one thing - the HDMI through the hub is unlikely to function.

To get there:
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BSCP3QY
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077QX8QRV

I haven't bought either - using them as generic examples here of how to get from microUSB 3.0 mini-B to USB C female for the typical hub to connect to.

I have one of these for my Galaxy Note 9 (I have it velcro'd to by beside drawers as the HDMI and ethernet cables make it heavier than the phone and I worry about the strain on the USB C port).

Code:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07K2WCZ83

Does what it says it will do, though.

Yeah, USB-C can carry displayport video (which I guess this box is transcoding to HDMI) and more, but the Pyra's micro-USB3 doesn't have any of what whizzbangery, instead we have a dedicated type-D HDMI out. The ethernet port might work, depending on how that's wired in.

Back