Enthusiastic shout-out of a formerly very active community member after many years of absence

porg

Hello after a long time,

Some of you may have known me as a very active community member in the early Pandora days.
I did a lot of voluntary software testing, evaluations/reviews and user experience design for the community back then.
I have not been active in the forums for years now.

To those who may have asked themselves:
  • Where did he go?
  • His departure was so sudden: Is he doing well?
  • What is he doing meanwhile?

I use the opportunity to give a one-time hello to all of you after these many years of silence:
  • I got a father back then, and this shook up my life and changed everything. To the better eventually :)
  • My former spare time occupation of software testing, usability evaluation and UX design which I experimentally tried out over many years by participating in the open source scene, OpenPandora.org a big one among them, and also in discourse with commercial software companies eventually got my profession, which I meanwhile do for 6+ years, and meanwhile I'm doing very well in it :)
  • This message is to encourage all the enthusiastically minded of you to follow your passion, even if it is only a hobby in the beginning. Even if you may be a career changer or similar. This is to encourage you: If there is enough passion and hard effort, you finally can get to where you want to get!

Meanwhile I have very little active interest in video games. Meanwhile I realized that…
  • video gaming was more of a nostalgic/psychological need to re-experience a certain era,
  • I was more interested in its audio-visual aspects as an art form rather than as a gaming experience. I enjoy watching others, not necessarily need to play it myself! Now as my child is old enough, I very very occasionally play a retro video game and my child watches joyfully. But the enthusiastic interest in gaming is gone for me.
  • I was more interested in tinkering/building stuff than using it. And this was really good! Enjoyed it and it was part of my personal way to my profession as a UX designer.

Last but not least: My first Crowdsourcing Experience. This was amazing!
  • OpenPandora.org back then was the first crowdsourcing project I got aware of. Back then this term did not even exist, and it was all before Kickstarter, IndieGoGo & Co.
  • This idea amazed me, and therefore the money risk was worth to me just to experience that journey. That it really succeeded was amazing to me. It was living proof to me for an entirely new business/project paradigm, and it was very cool to have experienced that first hand when history was made.

Congratulations guys, what you have achieved! I don't want to single out anyone of you in particular, because so many of you contributed with so much passion, and this my message of praise and joy is to all of you! Congrats!

Meanwhile I realized that…
  • video gaming was more of a nostalgic/psychological need to re-experience a certain era,

Same here. The difference between you and me though is that I will resist growing out of video games until my dying breath.

Being disabled, I have even more time for video games now than when I was a kid. My brain still doesn't want to let me waste time on video games though. :(

Hey @porg,

That's indeed a long time ago. Good to hear from you again. I am glad to hear that things are going well.
I lost the interest in active gaming myself for a while, but strangely enough it is coming back again. Not as fanatically as before, but semi-regularly.

Are you just dropping in, or will you be around more frequently again?

i like the idea of writing games more than i do playing them, though i enjoyed both as a kid. up until recently that was more my hobby than gaming. recently i think more in terms of software that might help people...

I have no plans to return. But I had the wish to at least once greet all of you! Thanks for your responses!

Do well, guys!

That's too bad, but all the best to you. If you ever feel the urge to drop by, don't hesitate. You are always welcome around these parts.

Back