encoding with virtual dub

Azure

Trust the recursion...
I downloaded the virtual dub setting and loaded them when I opened virtual dub. When I converted a futurama episode, it was 129 megs! What did I do wrong?

I personally don't use those settings, I just do it myself. There are various tutorials: look on GP32emu, Gamepark retro, and ON THIS BOARD. I don't mean to sound mean, but there are many threads to this topic.

I downloaded the DIVX 4.12 codec, installed it, and restarted my computer, but it won't appear in virtual dub when i go to video compression. The only divx codec I get is 5.04. What do i do?

Tricky one this as some copies of Divx 4.12 don't overwrite your current version. Try looking for several different downloads of it and then just install repeatedly eventually you'll get results thats what I had to do. Also you should have the uninstall program for your current Divx codec floating around somewhere.

Tricky one this as some copies of Divx 4.12 don't overwrite your current version. Try looking for several different downloads of it and then just install repeatedly eventually you'll get results thats what I had to do. Also you should have the uninstall program for your current Divx codec floating around somewhere.
so i have to unistall my codec to install the older one? I tried installing the divx 4.12 codec(uninstalled my other codec), but virtual dub still didn't detect it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really can't see why DivX 5.0x wouldn't work, as long as the FourCC 'used codec' code was changed to DIVX (with this program : http://www.divx-digest.com/software/avifourcc.html).

DivX 4.12 and 5.0x files are essentially identical, so this 'hack' ought to work. Has anyone tried it? I would do it myself, if I had a GP32 to try it on.

I've currently got DivX 5.05 on my computer and I've only tested this on a few films- so its still early days yet- but, so far changing the FourCC of a DivX 5.05 encoded file to that of a Divx 4.12 one has resulted in the GP32 resetting when trying to run the file in MoviePark.This could be down to a particular encoding setting being enabled which MoviePark doesn't like perhaps- I didn't try many combinations of settings as I remember.
Would be handy to hear from anyone who tries it with an earlier version of DivX 5.0x.

Doing the same with an Xvid encoded file (only tested it with this release of the codec so far : XviD-04102002-1 _ALPHA) has worked ok so far.You can change the FourCC from within the Xvid codec settings prior to encoding which is handy.

I've currently got DivX 5.05 on my computer and I've only tested this on a few films- so its still early days yet- but, so far changing the FourCC of a DivX 5.05 encoded file to that of a Divx 4.12 one has resulted in the GP32 resetting when trying to run the file in MoviePark.This could be down to a particular encoding setting being enabled which MoviePark doesn't like perhaps- I didn't try many combinations of settings as I remember.
You'd need to ensure that B-Frames, GMC and Q-PEL were all turned off. B-Frames are on by default. Also, make sure that psychovisual enhancement is not being used, just to be safe...

Good news about xvid though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back