Emulators?!?

joeeoh

U know I don't really get what the emulators really do. Do they play games? Or are they a program to run games with? huh? ( yes I do own 1 ) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

joeeoh posted on Dec 6 2005 at 03:03 AM said:
OCA| posted on Dec 5 2005 at 07:53 PM said:
A good artical explaining emulation can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emulator

-OCA|
so isn't an emulator the same thing as running a game? :huh:
Er no.

Edit:
A software emulator allows computer programs to run on a platform (computer architecture and/or operating system) other than the one for which they were originally written. Unlike a simulation, which only attempts to reproduce a program's behavior, an emulation attempts to precisely model the state of the device being emulated.

A popular use of emulators is to mimic the experience of running arcade games or console games on Linux, Mac OS X, and Microsoft Windows. Emulating these on modern desktop computers is usually less cumbersome than relying on the original machines. However, software licensing issues may require emulator authors to write original software that duplicates the functionality of the original computer's bootstrap ROM and BIOS, often through high-level emulation.

Emulators are not purely just made for games.

Last edited by a moderator:
So an emulator is a program that turns whatever ur running it on into that machine that the emulator is supposed 2 be? Well, then how do I run games on it because if there's a snes emulator and snes used cartridges how would I play the games? :eek: :huh: :eek: :eek: :ph34r:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No. Really.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i honestly suggest you dont get a gp2x
im not being mean or anything, i just dont think its for you..

Paradox posted on Dec 6 2005 at 03:15 AM said:
i honestly suggest you dont get a gp2x
im not being mean or anything, i just dont think its for you..
Oh I don't know, it is kind of funny.

Next I suppose you'll ask where to get roms. The problem is that you are not allowed to ask for roms or links where you can find roms. So I suggest you find more information on the internet because the answers are extremely easy to find.

So an emulator is a program that turns whatever ur running it on into that machine that the emulator is supposed 2 be?
Nope the emulator does not convert the machine into another machine, it is just a program that just trys to approximate as well as possible how the original machine would normally act.

GARRRR you better not be a troll.
Games can be dumped from their cartridges onto a PC, and saved as ROMs.
ROMs: Definition

And no we can't tell you where to get them, on this forum.

Edit: Btw learn to read.

nubie posted on Dec 5 2005 at 09:14 PM said:
No. Really.

Put simply.

To emulate, is to Copy, or Mimic.

Emulators try to mimic other machines to run on other machines, get it? So If I want to be like snes, I copy SNES and thus produce emulation!

:rolleyes:

Um too late I already have 1 I can get evey mode 2 work I just never really got what the emulator really does but now I kinda know. ok! :D
I'm just a big fat noob on the inside because I've never used this stuff before :lol:

An emulator is a mechanism to enable something 'not native' to run.

ie: A SNES-emulator on a desktop computer is 'native' to the desktop (it runs on the desktop), but it provides a 'virtual SNES' only; then you load up a SNES game into it, and that game runs on the 'virtual SNES' -- the SNES code is 'native' to the SNES.

Likewise with Java applications on a phone or website; Java is not a processing, so it cannot run on anything. But a web browser would run a program (a "JVM") (which is an emulator, but people don't call it that) that can understand Java, and so the Java application runs "within" the JVM.

You could consider it an "adapter", though thats not the same thing. A SNES game runs on a SNES, so to run it on a gp32 you need a GP32 program that adapts it.. an emulator.

jeff

Back