Emulators + Multiplayer

MooTheKow

Tried some brief searching of the forums but didn't immediately find any response - so figured I'd ask. Does anyone know if any of the emulators currently being ported to the Pandora have online multi-player support? For whatever reason I just learned about things like Kaillera (which doesn't seem to have Linux support?) and emulators like VirtuaNes (which has built in client/server functionality). Just seemed like a neat idea and since my bro has also pre-ordered a Pandora I thought it'd be cool if we could do two player games with each other from our respective homes :).

It has been discussed many times in many different emulator threads (there might not have been any discrete threads about it, hence not finding an immediate result). It is possible from a hardware perspective (all you really need is an internet connection). From a software side, you'd need an emu to have support for Kaillera or some other emu-multiplayer-over-tcpip library.

Vorporeal said:
It has been discussed many times in many different emulator threads (there might not have been any discrete threads about it, hence not finding an immediate result). It is possible from a hardware perspective (all you really need is an internet connection). From a software side, you'd need an emu to have support for Kaillera or some other emu-multiplayer-over-tcpip library.

I knew that it was possible - my question was more aimed at whether any of the specific emulators that are listed as being worked on currently had support for it. Was simple curiosity at this point :).

Last edited by a moderator:
MooTheKow said:
Vorporeal said:

I knew that it was possible - my question was more aimed at whether any of the specific emulators that are listed as being worked on currently had support for it. Was simple curiosity at this point :).
I am not aware of any emulators that currently support it, however the POND and TINXL libraries might contribute to making something like this possible.

Since people are working on standard emulator interfaces, standard config exchange formats, etc, there's at least a chance of there being some kind of emulator standard for the Pandora, and I really hope that we'll be able to standardize on w networking system as well.

Snes9x supports multiplayer. I have Snes9x on my Intel XScale (ARMv5TE) PXA270 based Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200 (which unfortunately lacks the juice to emulate SNES with sound), but I'm not sure if the multiplayer feature has been compiled in.

fiori_musicali said:
Snes9x supports multiplayer. I have Snes9x on my Intel XScale (ARMv5TE) PXA270 based Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200 (which unfortunately lacks the juice to emulate SNES with sound), but I'm not sure if the multiplayer feature has been compiled in.

Without going through the Internet (We don't ever have an access point!), It'd be good if we could play via wi-fi or Bluetooth in a local network, like with the NDS.

Limestraël said:
fiori_musicali said:

Without going through the Internet (We don't ever have an access point!), It'd be good if we could play via wi-fi or Bluetooth in a local network, like with the NDS.

I for one would love to see this feature... there are so many great 2 player SNES games that beg for online matches... although finding someone that is also playing the same game at the same time you are might be a challenge.

michaeljustman said:
Limestraël said:

I for one would love to see this feature... there are so many great 2 player SNES games that beg for online matches... although finding someone that is also playing the same game at the same time you are might be a challenge.

Yes, but you can have a bro or a buddy that has too a Pandora. If you are at the same place you wouldn't want to have to connect to the Internet to play (especially if you're someplace where you can't access the Internet).

Limestraël said:
michaeljustman said:
Limestraël said:

Yes, but you can have a bro or a buddy that has too a Pandora. If you are at the same place you wouldn't want to have to connect to the Internet to play (especially if you're someplace where you can't access the Internet).
...which is why we all should support POND, which is a framework that provides multi player playing without relying on specific networking technologies. If it ever gets done, you'll be able to connect to other players via any transport you choose, be it bluetooth, LAN, USB, Ad-Hoc or the Internet with a lobby server.

dflemstr said:
Limestraël said:
michaeljustman said:
Limestraël said:

...which is why we all should support POND, which is a framework that provides multi player playing without relying on specific networking technologies. If it ever gets done, you'll be able to connect to other players via any transport you choose, be it bluetooth, LAN, USB, Ad-Hoc or the Internet with a lobby server.

Oh, I support it, but the question is: Has any work been done on it?

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai
Probably not ;)
Still, I think hat the general principle is right that we should support common frameworks instead of saying "Well, X already has network multi player on Tuesdays once every blue moon, and that's enough for my needs so we shouldn't improve the situation."

dflemstr said:

This is a really good idea!

dflemstr said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai
Probably not ;)
Still, I think hat the general principle is right that we should support common frameworks instead of saying "Well, X already has network multi player on Tuesdays once every blue moon, and that's enough for my needs so we shouldn't improve the situation."

Of course. I'm just saying that if everybody supports and no one develops, then we haven't gotten anywhere.
-God Ginrai

Limestraël said:
fiori_musicali said:

You beat me to it.
Just wondering, what if (in the emulator) the input for the second controller was in the Bluetooth... you understand what I mean, right? The emulator picks up info from another bluetooth device and translates it into a second controller.... I hope you get what I'm trying to say I just don't know how to say it.

dflemstr said:
And hopefully that would also allow for emulators to be played on different platforms as well.

I think that emulators should support up to four bluetooth controllers. That way one could plug the Pandora into the TV and have a multiplayer party.

Aethix said:
I think that emulators should support up to four bluetooth controllers. That way one could plug the Pandora into the TV and have a multiplayer party.

The emulator doesn't mind about 'bluetooth' or not.
It's up to it to handle four external controllers and a splitted screen.

Yeah, but could you just connect controllers via USB or Bluetooth on the Pandora then use the TV out to connect to a T.V.? Wouldn't that make a split screen less of a hassle?

MrBlais said:
Yeah, but could you just connect controllers via USB or Bluetooth on the Pandora then use the TV out to connect to a T.V.? Wouldn't that make a split screen less of a hassle?

NVM.. Read above post..

MrBlais said:

I don't get your point. Would the Pandora be connected or not to a TV and would it be fitted or not with controllers, the emulator HAS to handle the screen splitting.

Back